303, McNett, Armor All, or Nothing? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-08-2015   #1

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
303, McNett, Armor All, or Nothing?

Bringing this debate back to the front line because I just bought a new dry suit this season. What does everyone use, like or dislike?

I hopefully will get a couple season out of dry suit with 10-20 uses, and would be happy cause I got it for a good price. Would like to upgrade in a few years to a nicer one (kokatat), but want this one to last. It's an NRS Extreme.

SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2015   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Assuming you are talking about gasket care and not the entire suit. Never heard of using anything other than 303 - and in CO if you do nothing you normally wont get a year out of your gaskets. I go with what the manufacturer says, could not find NRS blurb but here is Kokotat, and they have a whole page on the rest of the suit:

GASKET CARE AND REPAIR

Latex gaskets need to be treated every 4–6 weeks to prevent drying and cracking. Kokatat recommends 303 Protectant, available in 2 oz. and 8 oz. sizes. Small tears or holes in the gasket may be repaired with Aquaseal. Replacement gaskets and kits are available from your dealer or directly from Kokatat.

http://kokatat.com/general-care-instructions/
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #3

Yes gasket care, prob should have mentioned that, but title speaks for itself. I am going off an older post that is convincing me to NOT use 303, so wanted more of an updated discussion about the products. As you stated above, my biggest concern is how dry it is here in Colorado. I hate armor all on cars, and have heard a lot about the damage oils can have on latex and plastics.

Here is older post:
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ver-36257.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2015   #4
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
seal savers is good
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #5

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I prefer bacon grease on my gaskets, especially on Deso and on any trips I do in AK, as it helps my workout program because I'm constantly running when I'm not on my raft...

On a serious note, I actually use bacon grease only for bear protection. I find that it keeps bears away from my tent by liberally spreading it around the one group jackass's tent (you know who you are).

Ok, this time I'm not kidding, 303 is the shit--I bought a gallon of it 3 years ago and I use it even on straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I need to get some 303 or Sealsaver, but I have around 150 days in 11 months in my GMER and the gaskets are still holding strong.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
I need to get some 303 or Sealsaver, but I have around 150 days in 11 months in my GMER and the gaskets are still holding strong.
Just reading posts and reviews, a lot of people question if it even works. 150 days is a lot of use, and I am sure you store it properly and keep it out of extreme heat/cold and sunlight. Sunlight has got to be the biggest killer to latex .
Old 04-08-2015   #8

Colorado Springs, CO, Colorado
x2 Seal Saver. We use it on our dry suit gaskets in our dive shop. Nothing better.
Old 04-08-2015   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWC Kayak View Post
x2 Seal Saver. We use it on our dry suit gaskets in our dive shop. Nothing better.
How often do you apply it? I am guessing more often because of salt water.
Old 04-08-2015   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have used 303 in the past on my Rogue, but honestly didn't notice any prolonged longevity to the gaskets because of it. Have heard Seal Saver works good.

A big difference maker in the life span of your gaskets is being gentle taking it on and off, and drying the garment out of direct sun. I always tuck the gaskets inside when drying outdoors.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote