2016 Jackson RockStar - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-12-2015   #1

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
2016 Jackson RockStar

I paddle a 2011 Jackson Star but was able to get in the new 2016 rockstar for about 15 minutes while I was on holidays. I really liked it. I can't say I have ever been a fan of the older rock stars, but this one felt so different. I only got to surf it on a wave but did not run a river with this boat. Has anyone paddled this boat on a river and can share thoughts.

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2015   #2

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
It will definitely make class III feel like class IV! I might use it on class III to spice it up a little but I definitely wouldn't take it on anything harder unless I was already familiar/comfortable with it.
aewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015   #3

bc, CA
AEWERS - have you actually paddled one or are you presuming it will be make everything harder? I take my Star on anything up to 4- if there are going to be play spots along the way. Yes it spices the river up for sure. If not I take my creek boat. I would really like info from someone who has actually paddled one. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2015   #4

Rifle, Colorado
haha I'm not presuming that it will make everything harder, I know that it will make everything harder. The allstar was designed with down-river play in mind whereas the rockstar was made for park-and-play. I've paddled many boats but never the 2016 rockstar. You sound offended? I apologize if I did so, I just thought I would give my 2-cents.
Old 08-12-2015   #5

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewers View Post
haha I'm not presuming that it will make everything harder, I know that it will make everything harder. The allstar was designed with down-river play in mind whereas the rockstar was made for park-and-play. I've paddled many boats but never the 2016 rockstar. You sound offended? I apologize if I did so, I just thought I would give my 2-cents.
I had the 2010 Allstar (same as 2012 Allstar), and have a 2014 Rockstar (had a waited 1 month, I'd have the 2016 Rockstar). The Rockstar is much more stable down river than the Allstar was due to more volume in the stern. If you read/watch everything EJ has said about the boats, you'd know the main difference is the Rockstar was designed for hole play, and the Star was designed for wave play. (The Rockstar is outfitted as the premier performance model as well and a higher seat position).

The new 2016 Rockstar is designed for waves this time due to the World Championships being on a wave this year. They made the new Rockstar faster and slicier than previous models, which is what people who prefer the Star series likes. They hope to convince previous Star owners to switch to the new Rockstar as a result.

The new med Rockstar is 55 gallons, the same as the 2010-2012 Allstar.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015   #6

bc, CA
AWERS- I am not offended at all. I was just hoping to talk to someone who had actually paddled one downriver. The reason being is - I met a guy with a 2016 and he said he loved paddling it on rivers but never liked the previous models.
Bystander - thanks for the info, that is what I had also heard.
Old 08-12-2015   #7

Rifle, Colorado
Wow that's some awesome info bystander, thanks. Definitely different than what I've been told/experienced but it sounds like you have more experience with the series than me so sounds good.
Old 08-12-2015   #8

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
I haven't had that much experience, but I previously owned a 2010 Allstar, and now a 2014 Rockstar, and when waiting on my warranty claim to come in, I thought I was getting the 2016 Rockstar, so I was reading everything I could find about it.

As far as downriver play goes, people do like the Allstar for that, due to its slicey nature as well as how well it carves. The 2014 Rockstar is much looser, and does not grab the edges nearly as much, and the higher volume stern and bow make it harder to get on your ends with bow or stern stalls/squirts and what not. The new Rockstar should behave more like the Allstar did.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Riley runs low water Vs in his small 2016 rockstar, but he's kind of a rockstar himself lately.

It boofs well, just expect to get flipped more often than in a bigger boat.

I've not paddles mine (2016 L) thatch yet, but I think I'd take it down anything that wasn't too creeky.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015   #10

Boise, Idaho
I guess my experience differs a bit. But I haven't paddled a '16 Rockstar, so I don't know if there are significant changes from the 14/15 years.

I have a '13 Superstar, and '14 Rockstar L, and there is a noticeable difference in how the boats go downriver. I am comfortable taking my Superstar down most class IV (think Lochsa at any flow, SF Payette, etc.), whereas when I've tried to do the same thing in my Rockstar I get tossed around just don't have the same degree of stability or confidence doing so.

It depends on your ability, too. Some of our local heroes can paddle their Rockstars down anything and not even blink, including Lower 5 NF Payettes. But unless you're at a pretty advanced level, I do think the Star series is, generally speaking, more stable than the Rockstar series.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote