2014 Dagger outfitting - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-25-2014   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
2014 Dagger outfitting

Can anyone out there speak to the new outfitting in the nomad or any other Dagger Boat (I think they have the new outfitting in all their 2014 boats). I sat in one last year down at Confluence and was blown away by the design, but they didn't have a demo available yet, for last year. I thought it seemed like it would be incredibly responsive, mostly due to the seat/ratchet system. I will more than likely buy another Stomper because I have never found a boat I like so much, but the nomad is such a good boat...the outfitting might be the tipping point. I'll certainly demo one before diving into another Stomper, but would like to hear from anyone that has already tried it and liked/didn't like it

Thanks,
Beth

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014   #2

4CRS, Durango, Colorado
The new WS/Dagger outfitting is sweet, the leg lifter is a great feature and seriously enhances one's comfort and control. That said, it adds some very noticeable weight. Sticking with my Stomper for this year. If you need a new Stomper 80 I have a 2013 I can give you a good deal on, shoot me an email or give me a call at the shop if you want.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Thanks tony, I am in need and will be in touch. Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014   #4

cape may, New Jersey
I second TonyM. I have the jitsu and love the out fitting. Even with an adjustable slider for the seat it's solid and you would never know it wasn't solid. The only thing I didn't like and it's very minor was the thigh hook padding. At least on the play boats I can't speak for their creek outfitting. It's a thinner foam padding that really kinda draped down the side and bongs loose. After a few months of bow stalls and other strong rotating tricks I have noticed a wear spot from my knee. Just not as solid as the set up my pyranha. But IMO that's a very minor thing. I would never wanna paddle any other outfitting again! Hope that helps.
homeworld8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Yup. I have a Mamba with the lighter weight "not creeking" outfitting and absolutely love it. I think it's a vast improvement over the LL setup. Also, to compare it to the Bas Ass outfitting, the Dagger seat holds you just a bit higher off of the hull which makes a boat way more comfortable for me.

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #6
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
First off, I love the Nomad 8.5 and have been crashing them down rivers for a few years now, but I have a Nomad with the new outfitting and I hate it. The leg lifter and associated ratchet is flimsy. The plastic tray under the seat is lame and gimmicky. The bungee cord used is weak. The extra weight is annoying. If anybody has a Green boat for sale with the old outfitting I would love to scoop it up.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014   #7

Boulder, Colorado
I'm surprised the outfitting isn't received any better than it is, but once the cons are pointed out, it's actually easy to see the reasoning behind them. I'll still check it out to form my own opinion, but appreciate the comments.

My old stompenstein boat will be perfect for cc mank this early spring and late season but definitely need something in better shape for the season, as a whole. The Pure became a favorite when I incorrectly thought my stomper couldn't be resurrected, but the stomper is still the boat I feel I can maneuver the best and sends the best boof....the Pure plastic (amongst many other features) makes it a close second though....decisions decisions.....boating season isn't far off!!!!
Old 02-28-2014   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
As an aside, you can remove that plastic tray from under the Dagger seat. You just need to then foam it in so that the rail and seat make good contact with the hull. That will shed like 3 pounds right there.

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014   #9
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivervibe View Post
As an aside, you can remove that plastic tray from under the Dagger seat. You just need to then foam it in so that the rail and seat make good contact with the hull. That will shed like 3 pounds right there.
The tray is secured through the seat with a bolt, underneath the flimsy leg lifter. The nut on the end of the bolt is inaccessible because it is under the seat. To undo the nut, the seat must be removed entirely. Annoying.

Hopefully I can just run a bunch of manky bullshit and land on lots of rocks, shaking the nut and tray loose.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote