2010 Burn Review - size Medium - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-31-2010   #1
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
2010 Burn Review - size Medium

I've finally had some time to get to know my 2010 Burn, and have put a detailed review up on our website-

www.RiverGypsies.com

Leland

Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010   #2

Excellent review Leland, thank you! As a devout Burn paddler (I have been in the boat since it first came out in....2004?), I would not have thought it could be improved. This review really helps address my questions on the new version and evaluate whether to 'upgrade'. Sounds like if I wanna hit the front range mank, it would be the way to go.

As a side note, I have heard from Fusili that the Molan is a great design and really fast on a wave. I'll look forward to your review on that if you happen to do one. If you do, please look at hull speed on a wave as well as hole performance.
Old 03-31-2010   #3

Golden, Colorado
Yeah, thanks Leland. I also kind of wondered how the Burn could be improved. Mine old Burn M is my favorite boat eva and I use it for everything, including creeking. Sounds like some fine-tuning was done. My Burn M has surprised me a few times with some stern edge-grabbing squirt flip action that sounds like it might be less frequent with the new one.

Funny how you put the seat way forward for the first ride and then figured that was a mistake. I did that once with a new creekboat and just about killed myself before I figured out I should have left it in the middle like it came from the factory.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010   #4
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
yeah, I got fooled since every Pyranha boat I've had except for the very first syncro6 Burns needed the seat to be all the way forward. I'm sure they'll "fix" that next time they re-do the outfitting, and we'll be back to moving the seat. I feel kinda dumb that I squandered my first opportunity in 4 years to hop in a stock boat without ever touching a screwdriver. What's worse, I ended up moving the seat twice.

and Meng, you probably don't want to read my playboat review, unless you're wondering how hard it is to throw a shudder rudder in the Molan, or how many refreshments you can fit in the stern. My playboating style is, uhhhh, low performance.

L
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #5

Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Looking at buying the medium burn. I am 6ft 170. Any reason to consider the Large?

Just got out of a Rocker and not totally sold on the Villian.

Run Gore, Bailey, Escalante, Gilman, etc with my eye on OBJ, Embudo, Lake Creek next year for reference.

Thanks
Josh
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #6

SYOTR, Tennessee
I'm 6' and 185 and love my medium burn. Paddle class IV
ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #7

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I'm 5'11'' and 180 and the M seems to fit great. I dialed the seat all the way forward and brought the thigh braces all the way back, and have kept it there so far. It has been a great boat, and I think the plastic is tough-as-nails. I can attest that it is still possible to get stern-edge grabbing squirt flip action in the 2010. But, it is easy to roll and maneuvers well.

I think at 6' and 170 the large will be too big. If you wanted to get more volume and creeker feel than the medium it may be worth checking into a Jefe
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010   #8

Josh PM'ed me about M vs L 2010 Burn. This is what I told him -

Josh, here is what I would say. At your height & weight, either would be good.

Go Medium if you want:

- Snappy response, more edge response and engagement (I like this)
- Easy to turn, maneuver and muscle around
- Will sometimes pack for an overnight and carry safety gear but will mostly be doing day runs and some overnighters

Go Large if you want:

- Tons of float and less edge engagement
- A big feeling boat to plow through everything
- A little less response and harder to turn quickly and muscle around but still fine. Extra buoyancy makes up for it because floating high is more important to you
- Will often do multi-day self support trips, fully loading your boat

HOPE THIS HELPS!

-CM