16 Inch Dutch Oven - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-19-2011   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
16 Inch Dutch Oven

Thinking of getting the big 16 incher. Anybody cook with on this big? Wondering if the 16 is so big that its tough to get really hot. Probably use if for biscuits, casseroles and Mac and Cheese for groups of 15-25.

Anybody in the Fort Collins area have one they's lend me to play with for a few weeks? I'll throw in a few homemade pizzas.

twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
I have a 14 incher and it takes a lot of heat

My bet is a 16 loaded with food would be difficult to move around
especially if it is cast iron

please let us know how the search turns out
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Will do Dave. I have a couple of 12s, the problem is trying to make biscuits or cornbread for 25 takes at least two 12s. I once made a Mac and Cheeses in an aluminum DO liner, and chilled it at home and tried to bake it on the river. An hour later and the temperature had barely increased in the middle. There was simply too much mass.

I'm hoping that lighter foods like cornbreads and biscuits cook up easier in the 16.

How's the rectangular aluminum DO working out?

Have a great holiday and safe boating.

Regards,

Tom
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011   #4

Jenks, Oklahoma
Yo Tom, I have a old York box that holds two GSI Hard Anodized Aluminum 12's plus DO tools, Coffee Presses etc etc. I just keep it stocked and ready for river trips.

If you throw plenty of briquets on the lid, both GSI 12's get the job done on biscuit / corn bread as you describe. Not as good as cast iron does but ok.

I switched over from Cast Iron to the GSI units some time ago due to ease of washing and transport on the river. My DO of choice when car camping especially for biscuit, corn bread or baked goods is one of my well used Lodge Cast Iron units. Cast Iron just a lot of work to use on river trips or at least for me.

Thanks for scouting that DO for us. I alerted several of my local DO buds and they ordered several. They the job done!, I have several little loaf pans that fit in side mine and that makes for great coffee cake baked goods. By the way, I have swapped several emails with Rome Casting executives. They said they would like to do more castings but just could not get them done and have a reasonable retail price. Evidently they have outsourced the manufacturing overseas and the quality issues just got out of hand. I hear this story all the time, too bad as when stuff like the "Rome fish Cookers and DO's" stop being made they rarely come back. By the way, the top of those units makes a great two burner fry pan for breakfast stuff.

Good luck and I will be on the lookout around these parts for a 16.
Old 12-19-2011   #5
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I don't know why anyone would use cast iron on the river but I know there are those who do. If you do not preheat your cast lid, half the coals heat goes towards the preheat.

I preheat my aluminum lids too ( be careful if using a partner gas stove - they can melt. And how do I know this?), makes a big difference. Or at least some.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #6

Jenks, Oklahoma
Tom,

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=3970

check em out, I am a big fan of Lodge Products

http://www.macaovens.com/22in.htm

Never used Maca stuff, so beware

dave
Old 12-19-2011   #7

flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 09
In my experience 16 inch oven is for cinnamon rolls, cakes pizzas and such. For baking it does not seem to take as long to come to temp. It will feed a big big group with one load, but if you are preparing roast or stew you better start EARLY. Last time I fired one, we started a little late and ate at about ten that night. I stick to my twelve deep and fourteens if I am feeding a crowd.
sleighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Same as sleighr ....... 12's & 10's stacked. 14 on occasion if the group is big. First time I used the 14 I thought is was massive, can't imagine a 16. Holy Cow!!!!!!
I used to run with an outfitter that used those Rome rectangular DOs, pretty sweet. Too bad they aren't making them anymore.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
we just got off the 16 person grand trip. used the 16" nearly every day for cooking all kinds of stuff. For large trips I highly recommend it.
Old 12-19-2011   #10

flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 09
My GC launch is 12-30, Friend of mine in Flag is a caterer, he is doing food pack. He does almost all the prep so dutchies are not really required. But I sure do enjoy showing off a little if I am going on a week end car camp.
sleighr is offline   Reply With Quote