16' Avon bucket to "caft" project - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-04-2009   #1

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
16' Avon bucket to "caft" project

Alright, so we got to work on it for anyone that is interested. Why not just get an SB floor???? Cause they're friggen expensive!!!! Plus this sounded like a lot more fun and quite unique. I doubt anyone will have a caft out there. We're going to take this for a test run soon and cut the floor out after we decide how it feels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P6040115.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	1555

Here's what we have going. We're in the steel biz, so that's what we went with....not really concerned about an extra 30 or 40lbs. 1-5/8" OD tubing. Frame so far is 88" by 72" with a 14" drop, wich puts the bottow of the frame about 6" above bottom of tubes. We're debating floor type, suggestions welcome. Diamond plate would be SWEEEEET, but expensive. I've considered the mesh netting and marine plywood as well.

Name:	P6040112.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	1556

Here's a shot of the oarlocks.....

Name:	P6040116.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	1557

We've definitely got some work to do, but it's fair to say we can get this beast back on the water soon!! Well, more comfortably anyway.

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009   #2

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Back in the late 70's I took a commercial day trip on the Snake River near Jackson Hole. This was before the inventions of inflatable self-bailing floors. The raft had a sectioned plywood floor laced into grommets the way inflatable self-bailers now lace in. What's the drawback of installing such a floor in a bucket boat and avoiding the cost of an inflatable floor?
kerry edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Way less bouncy is the answer, and associated decrease in weight hauling capacity (which is one reason to use lighter material. Even with the bucket boat floor, that raft will haul way more than if you cut the floor out. Cool project though.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009   #4

BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
are you from pueblo?

Love the idea Jeb!

eb
EvanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009   #5

Eagle, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
Even with the bucket boat floor, that raft will haul way more than if you cut the floor out. Cool project though.
We'll see how it goes, but I may have to disagree with you on that point. We'll have all the benefits of a traditional cat frame AND the added space in bow and stern for dry bags, etc....

This frame when finished will be a four bay, with floor, and have the added room for additional cargo bow and stern.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly confident that we'll have more bouyancy than a traditional 16' cat as well.

It's hard to explain what we have planned, but the bow and stern sections (outside the frame pictured) will be pretty cool. Here's a design template we're considering.....although modifying it to follow the contours of the raft bow and stern. NOT the entire frame, just the "kick".....we're planning something similar.

Name:	frame design.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1562

EB.....You sayin' there aren't any boaters in P-town???? You're actually right.......I think Bek and I (any my fam) are the ONLY ones. Wanna ride in my "caft"???
Old 06-05-2009   #6
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
It is purely physics and not an opinion. If you cut the floor out and replace it with a frame that is not sealed to the tubes you will have less displacement and therefore, less bouancy (than if you lef the floor in), which means you can't haul as much weight. It would be fairly easy to actually calculate how much less weight you can haul if you give me the tube diameters and the boat length and width, and water line at 6 inches, I can provide the calculations. It is doubtful that you would have more bouancy than a similar length cat with same tube diameter with the same front and back rocker unless you load it so much as to have the bow and stern tubes down in the water in the water to some degree, which would never do.

With that said, I think it will be cool!
Old 06-05-2009   #7

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
Way less bouncy is the answer, and associated decrease in weight hauling capacity (which is one reason to use lighter material. Even with the bucket boat floor, that raft will haul way more than if you cut the floor out. Cool project though.
Seems like a wooden floor laced in would provide a fair amount of displacement. Not as much as a solid floor or an inflated floor but a lot more than no floor at all.
What is the weight hauling capacity of the average 16' raft and by how much would the hauling capacity be reduced in these various options?
kerry edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009   #8
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
A laced in wood floor would not be the same a the glued bucket boat floor. For example the volume available for the displacement consideraton of a bucket boat is huge. Since the floor is glued in, you can push the boat down in the water (with weight) and water does not come in (filling the volume) until the boat is fully submerged over the side tubes. However with a laced in floor, water starts to infiltrate the volume space that the bucket boat has, when the tubes are only 5 or 6 inches in the water. THen the tubes are halfway submerged the lace in wood floor would be underwater. While the wood floor would provide some displacement and add bouancy, the volume of the wood is not that much. A self bailing floor is usualy at least 4 inches thick, much thicker than the wood floor, and has a much lower density than the wood, which also increases its bouancy when compared to the wood. The wood floor would provide more bouancy than no floor at all, but the bucket floor would provide more. However, bouancy is not the overall determinant of performance. Although the bucket boat could float more weight, in whitewater it will fill up with water and handle like shit when compared to the no-floor or wood floor "bailing" design. Obviously the handling aspect is no news to the buzzards.

THe proposed design with no bucket floor will handle way better in heavy whitewater, but you will lose probably a good 150 pounds of funtional gear hauling ability as an educated guess without running the bouant force calculations (probably more though). I think a more interesting design would be to leave the bucket floor and invent a high volume pump to bail the boat that runs on fission and is about the size of a camelback.
Old 06-06-2009   #9
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
A little more info since I passed the 15 minute time limit to edit:

The 12' trib bucket boat has tubes that are 17 inches in diameter and the stated weight capacity is 1000 pounds. The wildcat cataraft is 13' long has 20 inch tubes (i.e. longer and wider tubes) but only has a stated weight capacity of 750 bounds. The main reason for this big difference is the loss of the bouant force provided by the sealed bucket boat floor that makes the funtional displacement much more.
Old 06-08-2009   #10

Eagle, Idaho
When we cut the floor out we'll be leaving roughly 8" along the side tubes....grommets installed along the length of the frame for attachment points. This will also serve us well if/when we decide to drop the cash on a SB floor.....lace it in.

This just sounded like a fun project........and worth a try.