13 or 14 footer for Colorado fishing/float boat? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-15-2012   #1

colorado, Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
13 or 14 footer for Colorado fishing/float boat?

I am fairly new to raft boats and looking to buy a 13' or 14' foot raft. Looking pretty hard at the Rocky Mountain boats as they seem like pretty decent boats for the money. I plan on buying a nice fishing frame for whichever raft I get. My question is for a 70% fishing/30% floating and overnighter with the wife, which size to buy?

I live in Colorado where the rivers can get low and pretty rocky. Some guys tell me to get a 13ft cause it is easy to handle to the eddies, seams, etc. Another friend says get 14 footer because its more versatile. I never plan to run Class v rapids, and probably not even 4. Any opinions out there my friends?

thanks

beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
14 is probably the best one size fits all boat for most colorado boaters. you could take it down the grand canyon and you could take it down a 350 cfs river.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
14 is probably the best one size fits all boat for most colorado boaters. you could take it down the grand canyon and you could take it down a 350 cfs river.
My newbie wife is also going to paddling this boat while I fish. Is there much merit in what one guy is telling me about the 13 footer being that much more manuverable over a 14 footer when in comes to holding tight in a fishing seam, getting to an eddie pocket or trying to stall or paddle back up stream? thanks a bunch!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012   #4
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Sure she is. Get back to us on how that goes.

I say go with a 14'er, particularly if you're planning overnighters.
Liquido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #5
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
well you could also take a 13 down the grand canyon (I did) and yeah it is somewhat easier to maneuver than a 14 but I wouldn't sweat 1 foot either way. the 14 will carry more shit is the bottom line.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #6

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Super Duper Puma is what you need!
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #7

ChroniclesofGnarnia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4/20
My 2cents coming from an ex float guide... the extra foot won't matter that much. Invest in a good pair of oars, and when fishing keep your rig as light as possible. I would personally avoid spending money on platforms they add a lot of weight in the scheme of things. If its just you two get a front lean bar. Did I mention get a good pair of oars, and keep the rig light!!! Also reading the river and being able to catch the smallest of eddies/ ferrying will prove to be far more important than a extra foot on a raft.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #8

Billings, Montana
14' is the best all round boat. I paddled 16'-18' Avons on floats for 5 years and after that I felt like I could R1 a 14'. Once you learn how to read water theres not much difference in1' either way.
jwithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #9

Yes sir, I have looked into that. Cant find one to look at here in Glenwood Springs though! seems like the perfect size, I guess they are more narrow than typical. However I am also looking at the price tag. The Rocky Mt. boats I have actually seen and felt, seem like a good boat for the money. And of course money talks in this equation as well. However the Rocky Mt. boats sizes are more like a typical whitewater raft.
Old 03-15-2012   #10

The local Rocky Mt. dealer keeps telling me for my first raft, he thinks a 13 footer will be better. Anyone out there that floats the Roaring Fork? That and the upper Colorado are my main goals to fish and float.