13 footers - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-09-2011   #1

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
13 footers

Does anyone out there run a 13ft raft as a multi-day rig? If so, can you describe your setup? Or better yet, can you provide photos illustrating how you've got it set up?

Thanks!

Clinkscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011   #2

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have a aire 13 trib. it was my first raft. I've done an 8 day trip with two people a dog, small motor, gear etc. I have a three bay dre frame. Four day is the better way. People on a small deck, cooler, empty bay for feet, then a dry box under you. It's nice for the gunny and brown at low water. I've flipped at twin falls so I bought an aire 16 lion.
WillYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011   #3

up in them thar hills, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
what he said, but I still run mine, someday I'll buy a bigger boat.
CO.rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've supported a group of 6 for 5 days on Deso at high water in a 12' bucket boat set up as a paddleboat. We had a great time and I know better now....
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011   #5

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinkscales
Does anyone out there run a 13ft raft as a multi-day rig? If so, can you describe your setup? Or better yet, can you provide photos illustrating how you've got it set up?

Thanks!
We run a bunch of 13' on week long trips. Typical setup is 2 peeps/boat, 80qt coolers, drybox, barney bag, lots of crap strapped everywhere. You need about 3 boats to spread the common gear around.
Old 09-10-2011   #6

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I run my 13 footer on short overnights (1-2 nights) for me and my wife. I leave thwarts in and just have a day frame (NRS Longhorn). I hang a floor in the back, pile all the shizz on it, and throw a DRE net thingy over the stuff, strap it down. Usually bring a small cooler, and a few other items that sit on the floor. Wife rides up front, sometimes sharing some space with the cooler. It is makeshift, but good enough for what we do. It is basically an expansion of our oar rig day trip setup.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011   #7

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
My extra .02 is make sure you dont overload and make your boat unmaneuverable. If you are a strong skilled rower its not as big an issue but ive seen a lot of friends flipping their 13' overladed boats
Old 09-11-2011   #8

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have both a 13 foot boat and a 14 foot boat I always use my 13" for multi day trips! Did a highwaterr 5 day Yampa trip this summer no problem. I want to get on the Grand this winter and if i do I will take the 13 footer over the 14"....
ecarlson972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #9

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I did 6 nights on the Main Salmon with my 12' Trib. It would have been better without quite so much Bud Lime. And there were other larger boats carrying some critical gear
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Salmon.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	3972  
John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #10

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
just pile everything in and strap it down buddy!!! pack light and rig for a flip, then git sum! i run westwater in 13' row setup, i know its not a super long multi day so not much gear needed, but 13' works great and it's so much more fun than a big boat.
SageOutdoorAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote