105 or 120? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-08-2011   #1

little rock, Arkansas
105 or 120?

Been bugging the ever loving crap out of a very nice guy at Canyon Coolers and I think I asked one question too many, so I'll ax it here. I want to get a good cooler, but I'm on the fence regarding size. I've been using a big box store Igloo 120. It gets crammed full for weekend trips, so I'm leary of downsizing to a 105. On the other hand, it seems reasonable to assume a good quality 105 won't require as much ice, which means on balance it will hold as much Schlitz and wangs as the cheapie 120. Is that a reasonable expectation, or ain't it? Got room for a 120, but I'd rather not spend the additional 150 bucks if I don't need to. Well?

lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011   #2

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
dang dude, what do eat/drink for the weekend to fill up a 120 qt?
Old 09-08-2011   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
When it comes to keeping stuff in river coolers cold for multiple days - bigger is better. The more blocks of ice you put in the cooler the longer stuff stays cold. Line the bottom with block ice and fill in the voids with chunks of bagged ice. Go with the 120 as sooner or later you will want to do some 7 day Deso Gray or 6 day Yampa etc etc The block ice most of us get at Safeway is really bad as it is compressed ice not frozen solid blocks.

Canyon Coolers are good and the guys there are great. No matter the brand, the bigger the cooler the better. My opinions only but based on a lot of trips and carrying a lot of beer. Cooler beer is colder than river beer again in my opinion.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011   #4

little rock, Arkansas
I was in mid-reply to oarframe when Dave chimed in. If I put food and drinks for two guys in the 120 along with six or eight frozen jugs/bottles and three bags of ice it's full. Ditto food and drinks for eight for a day on the party barge. I'm thinking 120 as well. I likes to go fat.
Old 09-08-2011   #5

little rock, Arkansas
I have taken to making blocks in OJ cartons like my granddaddy did in milk cartons. I'd like to come up with something the same shape but slightly larger, but the ones I've made do seem to cool better, last longer and of course take up less space than the frozen jugs. Still think a 120 is probably the ticket, which only leaves one question: Yeti or Canyon? Canyon Bomber Box is cheaper than a Yeti 120, but I can get a Yeti for six months same as cash from BPS.
Old 09-08-2011   #6

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
for what its worth, i have a 95 qt roughneck. i freeze blocks of ice about 3 inches thick that fit the bottom of the cooler then will put a frozen one gallon block in with the food/drinks and top off w/ crushed ice. seems to last about a week (food for 4). i think you may have been putting too much ice in the igloo and didn't have room for the important things . If you drink lots of cold beer get the biggest cooler you can like Okie says.
Old 09-08-2011   #7
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I've gotten some good practical advice here so I'll also share one that I think is pretty good: If you have freezer space for it, those 3.5 gallon rectancular plastic jugs of artesion water (about $3.00 at supermarkets) can be frozen and used again, and again, and again. Good, solid block ice - - not crushed compacted into block like the stores sell -- last longer. And, if you keep it in the plastic you don't have the water swimming around. Works for me. And Oh, by the way, go with the 120.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #8

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1991
Keep in mind the volume of ice should be ideally be double the volume of items. What is 6+ quarts of ice cold beer worth ?
Canyon Coolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #9

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #10

little rock, Arkansas
120 it is. Thanks everyone.