0 offset - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-12-2010   #1
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
0 offset

I have paddled a 0 offset paddle all year and like it other than length for playboating. I'm going to buy another shorter 0 offset paddle for playboating.

Just moved to Bozeman and the guys on the local shop were doing everything they could to talk me out of 0 offset and a special order. Shop guys can be annoying like that. Anyways they were talking about how in big water a 0 offset paddle is a recipe for disaster. I paddled some bigger water this summer but nothing where I was consistently disappearing under the water. Is there anything to this, or are they lazy and don't want to sell me a paddle?

-

glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
hey bro lets go boat.. just filed for unemployment.. gally yellowstone play?

btw the shop guys are nice dudes.. i personally like the 35 offset feels good and easier on the wrists you dont have to really flick them as much which saves on the arms.. but we are suppose to be paddling with the core anyways so have at it, one hand is a piviting grip loose like. if you grip the death out of your paddle it wont flow correctly which decreases purchase
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #3

Jemez Springs, New Mexico
I'm a 0 degree devotee even though I learned to paddle with feathered blades. Of all the arguements I've heard for feathered paddles the only one that seems to me like it may have some validity (other than the headwind arguement) is the big water arguement - if you are taking a stroke as you're entering a foam pile/hole that's as tall/deep as your paddle is long your upper blade is going to catch water and be shoved back at your face. You'd have the same problem with anything other than a 90 degree offset but to a lesser degree. Your paddle might get shoved back above or below your face, depending on which blade was out of the water, with some feather. I've thought about, but don't buy, the ideas that a) there is some anatomical advantage to feathered paddles or that b) a feathered paddle is more likely to flush if chocked/pinned under water. People like what they're used to and old traditions die hard. I wasn't paddling when 90 degree feather was the standard but I'd bet that the 90 degree fans had all kinds of reasons why 45 degree paddles were wrong.

I know that Werner, Mitchell, Galasport, etc. will do 0 degree paddles with no extra charge.

Just my opinion.
sugra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010   #4

Bozeman, Montana
anotomically i think your right wrist is cocked out anti throttling when you take a left vertical stroke same for the other side with a full on 0 degree, unless you swivel both hands. rather with an offset you swivle left hand if you own right hand paddle and opposite for the other... no way to grip on to a 0 degree offset and not have a cocked wrist. 0 degree are a full on play paddle for alot of reasons not bad but you can play just as well with a full on creeking paddle.
Old 07-12-2010   #5

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
If the guys at the shop don't want to order you a 0. Go to http://www.kayakproshop.com, Cheap prices and my paddles get to me in two weeks. One week to make the paddle and the other for shipping.
LineDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #6
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Sounds funny to say, but I think caspermike is right. The upper hand wrist position is the issue and I find it slightly more ergonomical to have a little bit of offset. Maybe your shops guys' rationale is in big water you tend to take a lot more power strokes. Lots of people use 0 degree these days though and it has its advantages so if it works for you I would use it. I heard from someone that NOC had done some experimenting with offsets for beginners and found that beginners progressed fastest with 0 degree offsets. Check out a paddle maker's insights here:
The Feather Rap/ wood kayak paddles
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #7

Bozeman, Montana
smart dude. glen dude heading to the gally maybe see you around. if you see a 93' burgandy chevy lumina(space shuttle vans) with a gold recliner inside and a orange project on the roof be my ride. project will probably be in the river..
Old 07-12-2010   #8

Jemez Springs, New Mexico
I meant argument/s, not arguement/s.
sugra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #9
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
I get the ergonomics thing, but really I do like my 0 better. I having a bent shaft makes a much bigger difference ergonomically but can't afford one of those for the time being. Still just looking for anyone with lots of big water experience with 0 offset.

Mike, I grabbed your number from the paddling shop cork board. I'll give you a call when I can afford to paddle.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
It's simple, an offset paddle allows you to take a more vertical stroke without twisting your wrist. Vertical stokes mean your blades are closer to your boat and thus move with less of an arc. This propels the boat forward rather than turning it as a sweep would do. A 0 degree offset would be fine for defensive paddling, just bracing, turning etc, but if you paddle aggressively an offset of 30 or 45 will really help. This may contribute to the "big water" argument: stronger forward strokes. I find that a greater feather also gives me more reach as well. Hope that answer helps.
Cinnamonster is offline   Reply With Quote