When is a Maravia too old? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-14-2018   #1

Upland, California
Paddling Since: 1998
When is a Maravia too old?

Good day,
I have a 1995 Maravia New Wave I purchased used in 2000. It was used before me in Alaska as a guide boat.
I replaced the floor last year. We use the boat 2 to 3 times a year for week or less trips. The boat has never been folded as long as I've had it. The boat was always stored under tarps, in southern california. for the last year, its been in a garage.
How long will the boat go?
How do you know when the boat is too old?
Thanks

Jbertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2018   #2

Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1981
covered, warm and indoors, it will probably out live you!
bsimcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018   #3

Upland, California
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2018   #4

Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1981
another suggestion would be to wipe it down with 303d protectant once a year to keep the material from getting brittle. It also makes the boat look new. A very inexpensive insurance.
bsimcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Maravias don't like being rolled. I had a 1994-1995-ish Williwaw 2 I bought used in 2003 and rolled it every trip. I frequently had pinholes in the floor from all the rolling and unrolling.

Maravias that stay inflated/semi-inflated will last for YEARS.

Agree on the advice to wipe it with 303. Also store it out of the sun.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018   #6

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
I have a different pov. Your either at the end or beginning of the life cycle of a raft. I have learned for me, its best to be at the beginning. I bought new in 2000 and sold it in 2005 for almost what I paid for it and then got a new one for a $1000 bucks more. I repeat every 5 years. That averages out to $200 a year for a basically new boat with no real maintenance. No concerns about reliability. And always a sweet float. But that's just how I roll.
Old 06-15-2018   #7

Upland, California
Thanks for all your replies. I'll keep it and keep you posted.
Old 06-15-2018   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
I have a different pov. Your either at the end or beginning of the life cycle of a raft. I have learned for me, its best to be at the beginning. I bought new in 2000 and sold it in 2005 for almost what I paid for it and then got a new one for a $1000 bucks more. I repeat every 5 years. That averages out to $200 a year for a basically new boat with no real maintenance. No concerns about reliability. And always a sweet float. But that's just how I roll.
I dunno, this username doesn't seem to check out!?
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018   #9

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Maravia's weak points are the floors. Always has been. If you have a new floor, you are probably in good shape. I can't remember what valves they used during what years, but your next problem could be those weird maravia valves that they used to use and can't provide replacements for anymore. If those go bad, you'll need to replace with c7s which is will cost you between $100 and $500 depending on whether you do it yourself or not.

Then you'll know that the boat is at the end of it's life when the material itself is degraded. Lots of pin holes, delamination, and uv damage are all symptoms of degraded material. Aside from the advice presented above, repair the tubes with urethane when problem spots first show their face. The internal sealants don't last for long, but they can plug pinholes long enough to recoat with urethane, and that will keep pinholes at bay for a few years.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018   #10

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepart View Post
Maravia's weak points are the floors. Always has been. If you have a new floor, you are probably in good shape. I can't remember what valves they used during what years, but your next problem could be those weird maravia valves that they used to use and can't provide replacements for anymore. If those go bad, you'll need to replace with c7s which is will cost you between $100 and $500 depending on whether you do it yourself or not.
Old maravia valves are a pain in the back side. However, you can replace them with new cheep plastic military valves from NRS. Just twist out the ADs and little silicone and screw the military valve right into the cup. I done it to a couple of boats. Not the best option but why spend the big bucks on good valves for an old boat? works...