Visible rope in water in Clear Creek - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-20-2014   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Visible rope in water in Clear Creek

There was an older blue and white Necky boat floating in the RIVER RIGHT eddy immediately after the dam drop today with a line on it coming straight out of the water. We got the boat out (it's been returned to the owner) but the rope is still in the water. It was clipped onto the boat's grab loop, so I'm guessing there was a retrieval attempt upstream somewhere and both the boat and attached rope headed downstream solo. The Necky owner knew nothing of a retrieval attempt and wasn't sure how the rope got beanered to his boat.
I was able to pull about 20 feet of rope out of the river, but the rest of the rope is still submerged, presumably with the bag. Is seemed like a better idea to keep the rope visible than to cut it and let an unknown amount of rope float around in the water. You can see where it is coming out of the water directly upstream, on RIVER RIGHT, tied off to a bolt on the old dam. The visible part wouldn't trip anyone up if they run the right side, but think it's something to be aware of.

Whoever's rope that is should probably be checking on it frequently as the water drops so that can try to get all of it out of the water.

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2014   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I pulled a rope off the dam on my way through but it was yellow. Tied the gate and dangling in the drop. Maybe part of another retrieval?

-Dave
(Seven two 0) 298-2242

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
No, that was it - glad you were able to get it all the way out.
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2014   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
This is odd. Beat we can piece together, a party unrelated to the abandoned boat. Lost two ropes in the river to their botched extraction effort.

I'd like moe details. Not looking to chew anyone out, but others can learn from your (assumed) mistakes.

I'd even consider returning this yellow rope I salvaged once you explain yourself.

-Dave
(Seven two 0) 298-2242

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
There is also a yellow rope on the right side of the big pool at the end of the tunnel one rapids. It is out of the river and not a hazard. I will get it today, it just requires some bush whacking.
NYourd is offline   Reply With Quote