US 6 Clear Creek: High Water Conditions Potentially Hazardous Near Whew! Rapid - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 06-12-2015   #1

Denver, 80205
US 6 Clear Creek: High Water Conditions Potentially Hazardous Near Whew! Rapid

ATTENTION RAFTERS: High Water Conditions Potentially Hazardous Near Whew! Rapid

Please be advised the Clear Creek water level is high near the rapid Whew!, particularly at the intersection of US 6 and SH 119, approximately at Mile Marker 259.8.

The creek is running three times higher than it normally does at this time of year, and this can pose a potential hazard to rafters and kayakers. There is a takeout at Kermits that should be utilized to avoid this part of the creek.

If you have any questions, contact the Public Information Teamat [email protected] or at the hotline, 303-569-9972.

Thank you,
Peaks To Plains Trail
Public Information Team
peaks2plains.wordpress.com

P2PTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015   #2

I think the really dangerous hazards in Clear Creek are the three bridges downstream of 119 and 6 that are underwater and probably choked up with wood, creating a death trap to any swimmer. Even though the creek is "closed" in that stretch, the creek doesn't recognize closures and will carry swimmers where it will. I should hope the Kermit's stretch isn't being commercially rafted right now.
Old 06-12-2015   #3

agreed deepstroke... and after running this river for 15 yrs never heard of whew rapid?
and hows that ridiculous constriction looking just above the stop light confluence where the new path goes under the bridge????
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015   #4

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
You guys should have removed your junk from the river prior to high water. Now there are significant hazards and you can't even use your own bridges due to high water. I'm also dissapointin in the design of the path going under the highway. Right now it is flooded over and has been for awhile.
Old 06-12-2015   #5

i know its off topic but ok i cant hold it back... im more disappointed in the trail use! ive always enjoyed the canyon for climbing and whitewater and the number 1 reason that there are no "cyclists" in it.... sorry but they are just everywhere anymore....
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015   #6
swimming

behind the 2nd flatiron, Colorado
what a freaking joke. So much for moving the bridges if necessary huh?
GroverGrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
P2P, did this guy die pinned on one of your crappy temporary bridges that were supposed to be removed prior to the high water?

One dead in car found in Clear Creek west of Golden | FOX31 Denver

It's not hard! You have heavy equipment! Big snowpack + tons of rain = high water! Time to get you shit out of the river!

PS: Please stop trundling boulders and debris into the creek.
Old 06-13-2015   #8
boof splash

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Remove your trash from the river.
kuuskv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Agreed. I asked about your equipment months ago while it was still winter and the thoughts were not answered. Why are you spending millions of dollars to allow everyone and their dog to 'enjoy' the corridor when they can go elsewhere. Colorado has more open space and public trail system than a lot of states.

It's too late - you're not going to stop until you're done but you might consider this poor execution and people are at risk. Think about that while you sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 06-16-2015   #10

Denver, 80205
More information about the design of the project is available on the project website, http://peaks2plains.wordpress.com.

Thank you,
Peaks To Plains Trail
Public Information Team
P2PTrail is offline   Reply With Quote