US 6 Clear Creek Canyon: Mandatory Creek Takeout Notification - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 05-04-2015   #1

Denver, 80205
US 6 Clear Creek Canyon: Mandatory Creek Takeout Notification

ATTENTION RAFTERS/KAYAKERS/BOATERS

There is a mandatory takeout at Placer Flats located on US 6 at Mile Post 260.5. The takeout at Cannonball Flats is also closed for the season. The creek is closed and impassable at this point. An update will be distributed when or if the mandatory takeout is lifted.

The Project Team would like to thank all the rafting companies and private individuals who utilize this part of Clear Creek, for their cooperation during construction. Crews are still working on the general construction of this trail.

In January 2014, construction began on additions to the Peaks to Plains Trail, which runs alongside US 6 through Clear Creek and Jefferson counties. Once completed, the project will provide new and expanded recreational opportunities for the cycling, hiking, angling, kayaking, climbing and prospecting communities, as well as other outdoor enthusiasts.

The Peaks to Plains trail will include the following:
3 miles of new concrete trail
Three bridges crossing Clear Creek
At least eight improved water access points
Additional parking spaces at the Oxbow Parcel trailhead in Clear Creek County

If you have any questions, please contact the Public Information Team for the Peaks to Plains Trail project.

Phone: 303-569-9972
Email: [email protected]
peaks2plains.wordpress.com

A map of the takeout and project zone are forthcoming.

P2PTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015   #2

Denver, 80205
Map of Takeout Location

If you have any questions, please contact the Public Information Team for the Peaks to Plains Trail project.

Phone: 303-569-9972
Email: [email protected]
peaks2plains.wordpress.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mandatory_takeout_May15_map.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	9806  
P2PTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for the update. What are the long term plans for the bridges over the creek? Will the supports for the bridges be only on the bank or in the river itself? These in-river supports can create serious safety issues for various types of boaters. At which water level will boaters not have room to pass under the bridges? Please advise your plans for changing the landscape of this river for the good of the general public when so many of us use the river right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I assume all the low bridges are temporary for construction equipment and that any permanent bridges will be plenty high and passable; please correct that if there are to be permanent impassable bridges, so it can be properly addressed.

Is this trail eventually going all the way to Golden? I would be concerned for the river bed modifications that seem likely to do that, though it would be nice to bike shuttle any of the good sections down canyon.

Why is it closed as opposed to just mandatory portages? ARE there real issues, or is this just lawyers telling them to CYA? It would be a shame not to be able to float Lawson to Golden at high flows.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015   #5
swimming

Colorado, Colorado
Is the bridge so low now that it's going to get swept away at runoff?
BeaterBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks for posting.

Your message is not very clear on exactly what section of river is closed. My assumption is that the creek is impassable at one single point and that above and below are OK. I would recommend that for futher communcations you spell out exactly how much of the creek is impacted. Easy for folks to misconstrue if you are not clear in your wording.

I would word it as... the creek is closed at X spot due to Y construction. The creek is navigable downstream and an alternate takeout Z upstream should be used or something to that effect.

Also, as a project looking to improve recreational access, I would say that negatively impacting navigation on the creek during a known major recreational use time is a pretty poor project plan. Even temporary structures and issues can and should be constructed so that they do not impede recreational use during the very short runoff duration.

I continue to be amazed by the lack of foresight that many agencies have when they close down sections of a heavily used creek during prime runoff.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015   #7
swimming

Colorado, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
Thanks for posting.

Your message is not very clear on exactly what section of river is closed. My assumption is that the creek is impassable at one single point and that above and below are OK. I would recommend that for futher communcations you spell out exactly how much of the creek is impacted. Easy for folks to misconstrue if you are not clear in your wording.

I would word it as... the creek is closed at X spot due to Y construction. The creek is navigable downstream and an alternate takeout Z upstream should be used or something to that effect.

Also, as a project looking to improve recreational access, I would say that negatively impacting navigation on the creek during a known major recreational use time is a pretty poor project plan. Even temporary structures and issues can and should be constructed so that they do not impede recreational use during the very short runoff duration.

I continue to be amazed by the lack of foresight that many agencies have when they close down sections of a heavily used creek during prime runoff.
Agreed. I emailed them our concerns like they asked... not sure they will check back here.
BeaterBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015   #8

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I know this isn't a great stretch of whitewater, but it is one of the few beginner runs and a play run down to Mayhem Gulch after running Upper CC.

In listening to the ph message at the number noted, it sounds like the bridges will come out when the water goes up.

I called back and spoke with someone to let them know that folks want to use this stretch and can we find away to allow passage or portage. She was very nice and said she would look into and call me back.

I also found this site on the web, Construction starts on Peaks to Plains trail segment | Bicycle Colorado, but it is unclear to me, if they plan to go all the way down the canyon or if there is some cutoff?

There is also supposed to be a www.p2ptrail.com website, but it doesn't work?
Old 05-06-2015   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
To add to this, in regards to section of upper clear creek that runs underneath the bridge at the 119 and US 6 junction. What looks like the bike path, is extremely low to the water line and has changed the rivers structure at this point. It constrains the river making it narrow, this will not affect paddlers as they can take a far left line. However I have a hard time believing that, at high water, the creek will not over top the banks of the path. Right now it is just earthen work, possibly clay compact laid on boulders. I work in civil and environmental design and if in fact the creek tops this section you will have an erosion problems. Especially if it happens before concrete is laid on the path. Just an FYI and something I am sure you have considered. Also, you did change the rivers structure, even if it does not create a hazard, you should report it to the paddling community and address in your public awareness plan.
NYourd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015   #10

Try peaks2plains.wordpress.com (link at bottom of first post), there is more info included in that website.

I think the original plan was to have the 3 temporary bridges removed by runoff, but that has not happened. The permanent bridges were designed with boaters in mind.

This phase of construction will open up five river access points with parking. My opinion is losing access to a very lightly used section for one season is worth the improved access, scouting, parking and shuttle opportunities when completed.

My concern is how narrow the riverbed is now just upstream of Hywy 119/6 junction.

The long-term plan is for this trail to connect with existing trail in Golden and at Kermits. No one seems to know the timing or funding to completion.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote