Upper Colorado...Fire Pan...Groover? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 1 Week Ago  

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Upper Colorado...Fire Pan...Groover?

Looking at overnight camping with my three nephews on upper Colorado next Tuesday and putting in at radium and taking out a state bridge. I am hoping to stay at one of the bench spots. Does anyone know if there is a fire ring/pit and if there is a toilet? I have both, but I hate packing stuff that is already there.

Thanks,

Max

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago  

I know there are no facilities there, so a groover is a must. Not sure about firerings, but I think their use is discouraged in any case.
Old 1 Week Ago  

There is no toilet. There are probably some ever growing fire rings. Please bring both. They will both be required when it is permitted in two years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago  

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Yes, please bring both.
This section really needs people to not use fire rings anymore, there are just to many people on it, to not be packing out all of our waste.

Have a great trip!

Heads up, State bridge gets pretty congested, so try to time your take out, and move quick, so you don’t have to deal with a mess at that take out.

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt man View Post
Heads up, State bridge gets pretty congested, so try to time your take out, and move quick, so you don’t have to deal with a mess at that take out.
Like Mattman says, please bring both, the BLM got rid of the toilets a few years ago, and firepans are required up there these days IIRC. If there's a fire ring there, it shouldn't be.

Also, if you're launching at Radium and camping at the benches, another option would be to take out at Two Bridges, a few miles downstream of State Bridge. Flows should be pretty fast.

Enjoy!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Old 1 Week Ago  

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Diddo, Radium to Benches is a really short float at these levels. If you are solid on camping at benches, then put in at Pumphouse to lengthen the day. I'm sure you know, but Eye of the Needle and Yarmony are ckass III at these levels and can have some decent consequences if you flip or eject a passenger.

There are some realy nice camps below State Bridge that should not have too much presure on them at these levels. Camps below State bridge are decent but not much shade and close to the road.

Have fun and be safe
Old 1 Week Ago  

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
thanks for the reply

ArgoCat any more information on the sights below state bridge. i.e., a map or some GPS points. I want to do as much e-scouting as possible.

thanks again Max
Old 1 Week Ago  

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
39°51'16.56"N
106°39'47.11"W

A few campsites right after SB on river left. They can be driven into but also used as river camps.
Old 1 Week Ago  

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgsimon View Post
ArgoCat any more information on the sights below state bridge. i.e., a map or some GPS points. I want to do as much e-scouting as possible.

thanks again Max
There's nothing below State Bridge but sorrow, death, tattered rubber and mangled frames. The Colorado River flows into the "Hole of Doom" and runs underground through caverns until surfacing again just above Dotsero. Don't go there!

But seriously, start here: Check it out! Upper Colorado River Recreation Guide

EDIT - NEVER MIND - There's a great online guide to the Upper C by the BLM and Eagle County Open Space, but the BLM seems to have let all the links break. Anyone got a link to the guidebook?

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Old 1 Week Ago  

Eagle, Colorado
Here's a BLM link....

https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/fi...r_20170815.pdf

Also I have some camp sites that may not make the maps but are certainly obtainable at these flows..... let me know.