Upper C: PUT YOUR FIRE OUT!!! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 2 Days Ago   #1

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Upper C: PUT YOUR FIRE OUT!!!

We were floating the Upper C Sunday afternoon, July 21 around 2:30, and saw smoke blowing up from the vacant car campsite at the Piney Creek inlet, just east of State Bridge. Pulled over downstream, scrabbled up to find a smoldering/smoking fire pit apparently left from the night before. The coals, rocks, and wood were plenty hot with no evidence of prior attempts to extinguish. 4 trips down to the creek for ~12 liters of water and a pee later the fire was out. Who leaves a fire in the GD forest?

The Rivers, along with bear and Lion sightings, are exhilarating! Forest fires are just damn scary! Please extinguish your fire or just stay home.

Cheers,
Schmidt

Ptfennelworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Days Ago   #2
Pieter Porcupine

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
I think its somewhere between common sense and education/outreach. Not that there hasn't been enough about putting your fire dead out. But I really do think that there should be billboards along I 70 maybe just west of Idaho Springs that say:

Where does your poop go when you disperse camp?

Wear a life jacket.

Don't run above rancho with a single chamber vessel.

Put your fire out.

Don't be a douche.

I believe that its gonna get worse before it gets better. Dispersed camping is getting closed down more and more and camping as we know/remember it will be a lot different in 20 years.
Old 2 Days Ago   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainmanPete View Post

I believe that its gonna get worse before it gets better. Dispersed camping is getting closed down more and more and camping as we know/remember it will be a lot different in 20 years.

Unfortunately you are right. The camping pressure seems to increase exponentially each year, throughout the mountains. Cottonwood Pass has seen a significant increase in dispersed camping this year with sites set up on the inside of EVERY switchback. I drove up Saturday and I bet I saw 15 sites that I had never seen occupied before.... and that situation is representative of the entire Arkansas Valley. Pretty soon the land managers will be left with no choice but to create a dispersed system like the Slate River Valley over at Crested Butte...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Days Ago   #4

Commercial Paleontology
Fire Out

With much dismay I believe Imyers is right.

I ran into this issue the other day. I just knew when I saw the group that they were going to leave a mess. When I came back past after the run they were gone & had left all their garbage everywhere & a fire Burning!!...Not just smoldering. The fire was twenty feet from the water & they couldnt even put it out. Idiots! I was bummed I didnt have a camera to capture my gut instinct.
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #5

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Wow.
This is also another reason why fire rings need to stop being a thing, unless they are in a blm site, made of steel, on a concrete pad.
Sounds like this group made zero effort to put it out. In Forrest or brushy areas, even if you make an effort to put it out, but don’t get it all, roots, bark, and forrest floor material, can continue to smolder for DAYS, unnoticed, till it re-ignites.

To many people to not use fire pans and groovers on the river, and in dispersed camping areas.
Old 2 Days Ago   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Disgusting is the only word for it. I'm ashamed of our boating community. We pulled up to a camp last Wednesday with one boat already in the eddy but obviously not camping. Children were going up and down the trail to the main camp while two adult males sat in their boat drinking beer. They said it would be about 15-20 minutes so we spun about in the giant eddy upstream of the camp. As they left and we pulled in they said "Have fun!". The children had krapped and pissed all over up in the main camp area. We did the best we could to clean up the mess.

In the four days in the over dozen camps we visited for one reason or another there were at least two trashy fire rings per camp.

It has been many, many years since I've been boat camping on an unregulated/unpermitted river. In general, boaters need to be regulated. Rivers need to be regulated to prevent this type of krap from happening. That is my opinion after this experience.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #7

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainmanPete View Post
I think its somewhere between common sense and education/outreach. Not that there hasn't been enough about putting your fire dead out. But I really do think that there should be billboards along I 70 maybe just west of Idaho Springs that say:

Where does your poop go when you disperse camp?

Wear a life jacket.

Don't run above rancho with a single chamber vessel.

Put your fire out.

Don't be a douche.

Huh, never heard of a no kayak rule above Rancho? It is a rather lame section to yak though...
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #8
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
As much as I am loathe to say it, it will take increased enforcement. I've got a decent contingent of FS and BLM folks in my group of friends and boating buddies and they have some gems to tell. The bad part is that they have so many examples of this type of behavior that it is pretty disheartening for them. I also know how much they enjoy it when people have their $41t together.

I remember when the Moab area was "wide open" 20 years ago, until it became a victim of its own popularity. I started heading further afield for my Colorado Plateau adventures. 10 years ago the parking area for Little Wild Horse was a wide spot in the wash and you could do the whole loop and maybe see one other group. We went through there two years ago and there was at least 30 vehicles jammed into the improved and overflow lots and there was a half an hour line for the pit toilet. I keep a couple of wag bags in my vehicle all the time, but I bet that there was more than one person who just couldn't wait...

We took the kids to Goblin Valley for a quick morning walk instead and bailed for a much more remote locale.

The crazy thing is how seasonal it seems to be. This year we did RH during the last week of March (when the snow was still deep here in MT) and saw almost no one. We took our time and did two layover days. First morning we saw two BLM employees motoring by on a work trip and on the last day we saw two guys in a duckie. That was it, we had the whole place to ourselves. 65 and sunny, no wind, cool evenings...
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #9

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Shit happens tool...

I hate to say this but it's been happening for quite awhile, live camp fires, trash, shit piles, etc. A friend, introduced me to one of these awhile back, and I made it a part of my equipment box(pooper scooter)sense. Shit is going to continue happen dispite regulations. It doesn't hurt to try and keep the ones that don't give a crap a heads up on the correct camping protocol, though. Maybe some of our great rafting, equipment stores could sell them, as a shit happens tool. I'm not really keen on picking up someone else's mess eather. After you rinse them off they make great back scratchers too. PS, don't pick up bear poop and carry it around, I think they use it to mark their territory and if another bear gets a sniff of it, might piss him off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71dIMzkHXUL._SX425_.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	37743  
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Great idea Raymo. I'll add an old cat litter scoop to my dry box.

Another beef. I saw a raft with two young couples and two dogs pull out on one of the sweetest of gravel bars; babbling side creek, flowers, large gentle eddy, etc. Dogs jump out, squat about 25 feet from the boat and you know the rest. Well, oarsman proceeds to the squat spot, looks down and begins to reach for his back pocket. I thought, there's a good man and he's going to clean up after himself(his dog that is). Instead, it turns out to be a vape kit. He vapes while contemplating his dog's krap, they proceed to load up and they float away. Perhaps a reason why dogs are not allowed and shouldn't be on many rivers.

The other reason to outlaw dogs is incessant wildlife harassment. I witnessed this last week, boat lands, yapper on board bolts like a rocket at geese about 50 feet away. Geese stand their ground and snap back at the mutt. Bitch on board, not a dog, runs over yelling not at the dog but at the geese and proceeds to throw rocks at the geese. Unbelievable.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote