Two Bridges Hazard - Colorado River - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 06-18-2015  

Two Bridges Hazard - Colorado River

At current flows most boats are not able to pass under the driveway bridge at Two Bridges, which is located 4 miles downstream from State Bridge River Access. There is an alternate take-out located on river right immediately before the driveway bridge.

Be prepared to move quickly, don't loiter around, and do not block the driveway bridge accessing private land on river left.

Toby Sprunk
Eagle County Open Space
970-471-6776

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2015  

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Do we have any pictures of this takeout, or the driveway bridge? GPS coords? Assuming not, are there any other features or landmarks before the driveway bridge that would warn me that we're getting close? Thanks
Old 06-20-2015  
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Highly recommend scouting this take out at high water, as does the blm, since the bridge could decapitate you.

After going through a braided section of river, redish sand stone walls on river left get closer to the water.

This is a set of two bridges, the first bridge is the railroads, and has plenty of space to pass under, imediately after passing under is the private take out on river right, that we may use when the second bridge is impasable. The second bridge is the one that is the issue.

It is not that hard to drive to two bridges river access and check it out ,your first time, and worth it at high water, when going just a little to far could suck a lot.

Upper colorado has the big water feel right now, sounds like yarmony and needles eye are worth a scout if you run them, I have not run them quit this high, so not sure on the scouts, river right is train tracks, don't know if they allow us on tracks to scout or not.

Have fun, be safe!
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2015  

Boulder, Colorado
I'll go to the takeout. You had me at decapitated. It's been awhile since I've been down there. Will you pass along some directions for me? Thanks again!
Old 06-20-2015  

Well said - the spot is four miles downstream from State Bridge, and is easily viewed from the Two Bridges River Access Site, just north of Bond. There is a large red sandstone cliff on river left just before the bridge.

I've also attached a link below to the new Upper Colorado River Recreation Guide. This is a new map that was a collaborative effort between Eagle County Open Space and BLM.

you may need to scroll down after opening, I did. I've also attached a photo of the bridge and the alternate take out, just upstream.

http://www.eaglecounty.us/OpenSpace/...o_River_Guide/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03381.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	10122  
Old 06-20-2015  

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsprunk View Post
Well said - the spot is four miles downstream from State Bridge, and is easily viewed from the Two Bridges River Access Site, just north of Bond. There is a large red sandstone cliff on river left just before the bridge.

I've also attached a link below to the new Upper Colorado River Recreation Guide. This is a new map that was a collaborative effort between Eagle County Open Space and BLM.

you may need to scroll down after opening, I did. I've also attached a photo of the bridge and the alternate take out, just upstream.

http://www.eaglecounty.us/OpenSpace/...o_River_Guide/
Fantastic! Thanks very-very much for the solid intel. Looks like a good sized take out.
Old 06-20-2015  
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Yep, glad to do it.
If coming from hwy 40, turn left on hwy 9 in kremmling, south a couple miles into road work, turn right on county rd. 1( trough road), follow to end at hwy 131, take a right, several miles north on 131 is the new two bridges river access. It is a small sighn and easy to miss.

If coming over vail pass, take a right off of I-70 at wolcot onto hwy 131, continue north past trough road and state bridge, several miles up 131 on left is the boat ramp, you go through bond before you reach it.

If continuing past two bridges and catamount creek, there are several major hazards, especialy at high water. The rapid just down stream of catamount is getting preaty big, I run it down the tongue,big holes each side of large wave train, burns rodeo hole is similar, Rail road bridge in pinball I hug left bank leading in to it, Could flip or wrap big time on bridge, Set of two bridges after jack flats has MAJOR flip, wrap, potential followed by long swim through rapids, I was smashing bushes with back of my boat this week against right shore line. Nasty place at high water, mine field of bridge suports from two bridges.
Everything except rapid after catamount are scoutable from colorado river road( left off 131 past two bridges ramp) Should scout all these places right now.

well, much of the beach area is underwater now. I was there yesterday and saw one paddle raft go under the bridge. The fishing boats and other boats with high seats were taking out above the bridge.

Take a look from Two Bridges River Access.

Of course, another option is to put in at Two Bridges and float to Catamount, which is a lovely nine mile trip with no hazards and a few Class IIs.

Print out the River Recreation Guide and take it with!

Toby Sprunk
Eagle County Open Space
970-471-6776
Old 06-20-2015  

Boulder, Colorado
So we ended up scoping out the situation at Two Bridges and opted to put in there and float down to Catamount...I'm assuming. I never saw any signs for "Catamount". We took out just below a vehicle bridge in swift current, river left which was about 10 road miles down stream from Two Bridges. Excellent family float, no issues.
Old 06-21-2015  

Littlefun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
how long did it take from two bridges to catamount?

Tags
colorado river