Tree in Bailey - serious haz - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-04-2015   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Tree in Bailey - serious haz

There is a 100% river wide tree that has fallen between deer creek and mystery eddy. It doesn't necessarily sneak up on you but with lower (normal) water it will be a mandatory portage on river left.

Small log in the notch but I think it's been there since last year. Kind of sketch if you blow the line.

Otherwise the run is clean. The second barb wire fence is gone now!!

FYI - the flow is estimated to be 150 higher than the grant gauge right now. The feeder creeks are CRANKING. Probably 650 Cfs tonight. The other paddling group agreed the river was a step up from juicy or "padded out". Be careful and don't take any newbies right now. You must know your lines and swimming could prove costly or even tragic. I knew this evening would be a long trip when the bridge at the dream house almost takes your head off. There was water at first falls coming in from the right side of the drop overtaking the lip of the drop. The boof flake in supermax was submerged.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks for the warning on the tree and the ground truth on the flow. Sounds spicy-delicious!
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Once, before I realized rolling was important, I took a swim below Trashcan after flipping in the bottom seam at fairly high water. The swim was not life threatening, but fairly unpleasant. It's pretty fun in there with some flow. Lines are mostly the same just faster and Deer Creek forms some holes that deserve respect.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Tree in Bailey - serious haz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
Once, before I realized rolling was important, I took a swim below Trashcan after flipping in the bottom seam at fairly high water. The swim was not life threatening, but fairly unpleasant. It's pretty fun in there with some flow. Lines are mostly the same just faster and Deer Creek forms some holes that deserve respect.

You're not kidding on deer creek!! The rock slide drops you right into a burly hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Tags
bailey