Tree down across Bailey - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-15-2012   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Tree down across Bailey

Hey guys, there is a new tree down about 200 yards up from first falls. Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it must be pretty recent.

It stretches across the entire river, and comes right after a sharp bend to the right. Fortunatlely its easy to eddy out on either side and portage. Be careful if you have newbies with you in the area, definetly hazard potential.

justinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012   #2

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Does it look like a blow down or a cut? That is going to be an ordeal getting that out of there and trying to not disturb that landowners...
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleYouEss View Post
Does it look like a blow down or a cut? That is going to be an ordeal getting that out of there and trying to not disturb that landowners...
Looks like a blow down..

now that you mention it, it did seem a little odd to me as the tree was young and not dead, and seemed to be the only thing disturbed in the area...

Who knows, I didnt really examine it.
justinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks for the heads up. Do whatever you need to do to be safe out there. I think its fine to do work to try and move or cut trees in an unsafe position in the channel to allow for boat passage.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #5

Silverthorne, Colorado
Sounds like its time for a stealth mission into Bailey with a saw and some ropes and pulleys...
Old 08-16-2012   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
No need to be stealth. Take care of business, be safe, do what you need for safety.

While we are on it, that log a little ways above deer creek that is blocking a little middle slot needs to go too.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #7

Silverthorne, Colorado
Pocket sized chain saw

While we are talking about clearing trees from the river, what do you all think about this as a compact saw for keeping on hand in your boat?Ultimate Survival Technologies SaberCut Saw at REI.com
Old 08-16-2012   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Those are pretty slick. keep it dry so it doesn't rust. Some of them have tiny little split key rings for the end handles, which can get uncomfortable.

Or just take the bar off your real saw and stick it in the back. Be sure to wedge it in tight, as it is no fun to do the double brace thing when your chainsaw shifts around back there.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #9

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Looks good for small stuff but if you know the tree above Deer Creek this is going to be too small at 24in.

To anybody who didn't know...the left channel (left of the rock slide) at DC does go...I found out on accident!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by gannon_w View Post
Looks good for small stuff but if you know the tree above Deer Creek this is going to be too small at 24in.

To anybody who didn't know...the left channel (left of the rock slide) at DC does go...I found out on accident!
Gannon, you ran the decapitating pipe room? Did something shift in there? I looked in there for the first time in ages during a reverse portage this weekend, and I feel it used to look worse.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bailey