Theft at LOMA - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-27-2012   #1

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Theft at LOMA

On 7/24/12, I put in at Loma and did a self shuttle with a Honda Ruckus 50cc scooter from Westwater. Today, I went back to Loma and found my scooter had been stolen. I locked it up with a $50.00 motorcycle lock and the post that it was secured to was broken. I don’t expect to get it returned but wanted to warn anyone that does a “self shuttle” to be aware of thefts at Loma. I have done many, many self shuttles and have never had any issues before and have been doing this for five years. If you come across a scooter that looks like the picture attached, let me know. I guess the lesson is to be careful at Loma and get Lo Jack!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruckus.jpg
Views:	1222
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	4989  

mustloverafting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012   #2
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Bummer, fucking methheads
Old 07-30-2012   #3

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
That sucks.

There have been a rash of scooter thefts all over the place lately. It is one of my biggest worries on day trips because I often do scooter shuttles.

Kyle
Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012   #4

Hey all you scooter shuttle guys get a cheapo gps tracking device and conceal it
Some where on the scoot. Get those thiefs in jail.
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012   #5

Aspen, Colorado
Update

The scooter was found late last week only about 100 yards away from where it was stolen in the Colorado river. Now I need to go a get it from BLM ranger in Loma. I guess, I don't understand why someone would go to all the work to vandalize a post to steal a scooter simply to roll it down to the river and dispose of it!
Old 08-06-2012   #6

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Sounds like foolish kids being assholes.
Old 08-06-2012   #7

., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Thats awesome that your getting your ride back! Hopefully its still in working order too.
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #8

Aspen, Colorado
LOMA Still Okay

Got my scooter back this morning and talked with the ranger about issues at Loma. He said that they haven't had anything stolen from the Loma launch in a long time or any vandalism. So this was good to hear. I do know they monitor that launch area a lot during the day. I guess I just had the moment of bad luck. However, going through Westwater, was perfect.

Good question to ask, would you rather have a perfect day on the river to come back to some transportation issues and/or a stolen vehicle or have a bad day on the river and have everything okay with transportation and shuttling? I think on the day I went down Westwater, I would have settled for a flipped boat and everything okay with transportation. Last year at 20k, I would take everything being okay on the river and issues with transportation.

I do consider myself lucky to have been rafting all these years and this being my first "real" issue with shuttling.