The Tree Of Doom: Upper Klickitat River Washington - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 04-14-2012   #1
swimming

Vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1990
The Tree Of Doom: Upper Klickitat River Washington

Hey guys, I have not seen this posted on this forum and I did use a basic search. I don`t know if they got this thing out of the river over the fall and winter nor do I know whether the spring floods will clear this out. It is a pretty big pine that completely blocks the main channel which is to the right of the island at the second basalt head wall about 3 1/4 miles from the put in. There was talk about trying to get this thing cut out of there but I do not know if that was accomplished.

This is in the main right hand channel as the river make a sharp right hand turn at the second large basalt head wall. The is an island in the middle and the main channel funnels boaters river right and this seems the intuitive route but don`t. Hit the island left and run the narrow, shallow left channel. I would definitely scout this first to be sure it is still clear this year.

Here is a detailed description of this serious hazard:

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/366536/...+June+2011.pdf

Snowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012   #2

The Big Smoke, Washington
Did you ring Zollers and find out yet?

Something to keep in mind; but I'm pretty sure it's illegal to remove LWD from the river, no matter the reason. In regards to a single tree spanning the entire river in a swift channel, I'd never say anything, but the next person may not be o.k. with it due to it's potential impact on Spring Chinook and both Winter and Summer Steelhead smolts, which on that river, are ESA listed.
constructeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #3

Got a PM asking what LWD and ESA was so:

1. Large woody debris. On the Klick it's used by 2 kinds of salmon Chinook and Silver, both runs of Steelhead, and in the area of concern, by Bull trout as well, and I'm sure downstrea by other trout as well.

a little LWD info: Large Woody Debris as an Ecological Function

I couldn't find anything online from Klickitat County so that will have to do

2. Endagered Species Act: Summary of ESA | Laws and Regulations | US EPA

I'm so far off tanget I may as well throw some general Klick info in here as well:

Klickitat Basin Intro

If you guys get out there around June, you can see the ammocoete (larval) stage of the Pacific Lamprey in the underwater sandy areas in pools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012   #4
swimming

Vancouver, Washington
So far no word. Right now, there is too much snow to even drive to the put in and I am hearing reports of an abnormally high number of downed trees from the heavy late winter snows we have gotten in the PNW. The lady I spoke with said they will make another scouting attempt in a week or two. Like she said, with this many downed trees this year, if not this thing, there will likely be other new trees of doom in the river.

The Forest Service has removed trees on the Klick before so I don`t think it is totally banned. The big Ponderosa in Rag Hole is one they cut out a couple of years ago. I had heard that there was an attempt made this summer but that attempt was not successful and the thing remained blocking the river. I don't know if there was a second attempt or if they are hoping spring flooding will flush it out naturally.

I understand the fish concern, but a death trap like this really should be removed from a river that is used so much. Just my opinion for what thats worth.
Old 04-16-2012   #5

Tucson, Arizona
im planning on doing the klikitat on memorial day weekend. i would definitely appreciate any info on possible tree hazards.
commanderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post

The Forest Service has removed trees on the Klick before so I don`t think it is totally banned.
They're the government though. They've either gone through the permit, or whatever, process, or they may even have a special blanket allowance letting them remove anything they deem overtly unsafe.

Quote:
I understand the fish concern, but a death trap like this really should be removed from a river that is used so much. Just my opinion for what thats worth.
I agree with ya on this particular tree. I was just taking an opportunity to share what I know.
Old 04-17-2012   #7
swimming

Vancouver, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderfun View Post
im planning on doing the klikitat on memorial day weekend. i would definitely appreciate any info on possible tree hazards.
Will definitely be checking with Zollers and will post anything I find out. Right now, I would just expect that bugger to be there at mile 3.2 and be ready for anything new that may have shown up. The Klick is one of those rivers that every spring brings new and exciting things....LOL
Old 04-17-2012   #8
swimming

Vancouver, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by constructeur View Post
They're the government though. They've either gone through the permit, or whatever, process, or they may even have a special blanket allowance letting them remove anything they deem overtly unsafe.

I agree with ya on this particular tree. I was just taking an opportunity to share what I know.

Oh yeah man, I hear you and you bring up valid points. When a river has the "wild and scenic" label, it gets very touchy.
Old 04-17-2012   #9

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
The Klick is one of those rivers that every spring brings new and exciting things....LOL
Certainly got my attention (2004):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Strainer.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	4543  
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012   #10

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote: