The Arkansas River is a vital lifeblood to our recreation economy. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
The Arkansas River is a vital lifeblood to our recreation economy.

https://coloradosun.com/2019/11/24/a...eid=1ff2c27b1a

John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Who needs budget $. We can sell the prime land for our pet projects and boondoggle trips, lunches, empire building, new trucks, ad nauseam.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Without knowing specifics, it's hard to comment on this. Most of the lands he mentions are either already in an ACEC (Area of Critical Environmental Concern), and then there's the Mcintyre WSA (Wilderness Study Area, which is managed as wilderness) which starts about 20 miles west of Canon City.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
This guy is an idiot. The public comment period for the BLM's Eastern Colorado Resource Management Plan closed on September 20th. They are no longer accepting public comment on the topic.

Not much that can be done about it currently, but if anyone would like some actual useful information on the topic it can be found here:

http://www.wildconnections.org/conse...ementplan.html
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
This guy is an idiot. The public comment period for the BLM's Eastern Colorado Resource Management Plan closed on September 20th. They are no longer accepting public comment on the topic.

Not much that can be done about it currently, but if anyone would like some actual useful information on the topic it can be found here:

http://www.wildconnections.org/conse...ementplan.html
An idiot!?!?!?! But he started fishpond and sold half of it to a couple trust fund kids. How could this be?

Thanks for the link, I like to try and educate myself on this stuff every once in awhile.
theusualsuspect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Perhaps idiot was too strong of a word, but this was a pretty big topic amongst outdoor enthusiasts and conservationists all summer long. His article is poorly written and about 3 months too late...
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Please, in no way was I criticizing your use of the word idiot. I appreciate all the information you provide to the community. While I don't know you at all, I am led to believe you have also invested a significant amount of your time and energy into being an activist in the area. As someone who occasionally uses the resource I appreciate your passion and efforts.
theusualsuspect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by theusualsuspect View Post
I am led to believe you have also invested a significant amount of your time and energy into being an activist in the area.
Thanks for saying that.

Knowing what I do about community advisory boards, meetings, and the amount of stuff you have to ramp up on to participate in a meaningful way, this may be the understatement of the year.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Distiller and Salida's Mayor, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
The ECRMP has moved out of public comment but the version BLM is pushing ignores all the science and public input from nearly a decade of study, reducing both areas with wilderness characteristics and areas of critical environmental concern to near zero while opening most of the land to oil and gas extraction (even though there is little to no proven resource). It is a land grab from environmentally questionable BLM appointees in Washington.

The good news is it needs to go through our Governors office and probably a number of lawsuits before it is finalized.

So yes you should speak up, let the Governor know your opinion call your representatives, this is not a done deal make some noise! The proposed option is bullshit!
ptwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwood View Post
The good news is it needs to go through our Governors office and probably a number of lawsuits before it is finalized.

So yes you should speak up, let the Governor know your opinion call your representatives, this is not a done deal make some noise! The proposed option is bullshit!
My understanding is that while it does have to go through Polis' office, there is no precedent for him to veto it. What's more likely is that he will require a few changes before implementation (or at least that's what the Wilderness Society thinks will happen). I do not believe representatives have any say, other than the ability to influence the Governor's decision.

I would encourage concerned individuals to contact Polis' office and express their concern, but don't waste your time telling the BLM how you feel about this particular topic.

Tags
ark, arkansas, arkansas river