Taos Box Beta?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-04-2016   #1

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Taos Box Beta??

Hey Everybody, wondering if anybody has access or knows where to find a breakdown of the rapids on the Taos box section. I'm heading down at the end of next week to run it with some friends. We'll be in a 14' paddle boat, just wanna know what we're getting into. Thanks! -Adam

jensena315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensena315 View Post
Hey Everybody, wondering if anybody has access or knows where to find a breakdown of the rapids on the Taos box section. I'm heading down at the end of next week to run it with some friends. We'll be in a 14' paddle boat, just wanna know what we're getting into. Thanks! -Adam
so you are heading down with no idea what you are getting into without doing any homework at all such as American Whitewater - 5. John Dunn Bridge to Taos Junction Bridge (Lower Taos Box) , Rio Grande New Mexico, US

okay. can you read and run class III/IV whitewater? I hope so that is a bare minimum. if not stay home.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #3

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Got to love the mountain buzz attitude.
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016   #4

Breckenridge, Colorado
Thank you for the link! I can definitely read and run, have been a guide for a few years now.. I was looking for a little more in depth info on some of the rapids. Must make moves, big ol' holes that will mess our day up, sieves, major strainers, etc. If it's a straightforward read and run situation, we should be ok. Also, why has the CFS dipped so dramatically today? I just checked USGS, and it's gone from just shy of a grand to 600 in 24 hours?
Old 04-04-2016   #5

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Thank you for the link! I can definitely read and run, have been a guide for a few years now.. I was looking for a little more in depth info on some of the rapids. Must make moves, big ol' holes that will mess our day up, sieves, major strainers, etc. If it's a straightforward read and run situation, we should be ok. Also, why has the CFS dipped so dramatically today? I just checked USGS, and it's gone from just shy of a grand to 600 in 24 hours?
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ows-60731.html
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #6

Breckenridge, Colorado
Yep, usgs at the junction below the box.
Old 04-04-2016   #7

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Yep, usgs at the junction below the box.
Umm, read the thread. It will tell you why the level is dropping out...
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #8

Breckenridge, Colorado
Ah, gotcha. Thanks
Old 04-04-2016   #9

Jenks, Oklahoma
pretty much read and run down to powerline drop. Watch for a power line across the Rio and if first time, stop and scout.

Run power line best you can and enjoy very short distance of easy water till you round the bend, then you are on your own for Rio Bravo section. Rapids come up fast and depending on water level will be class 3 or if higher water class 4 after this long set of in your face there will be a slack water nice pool and you can see the take out bridge which signals last drop before the bridge take out. This is sunset. Scout this one if your first run down. Depending on water level your choice to find some one familiar with the run for you to follow. That is the best way. Lower Box is put in at the put in and take out at the take out. It is all canyon walls in between and you are committed to the run soon as you cross under the put in bridge. Highly recommend you ask around the put in and find some kind soul who knows the lines for you to follow even tho you have a lot of good experience. Like I said, low water pretty much read and run, high water get your game face on and find a guide.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016   #10

DURANGO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
so you are heading down with no idea what you are getting into without doing any homework at all such as American Whitewater - 5. John Dunn Bridge to Taos Junction Bridge (Lower Taos Box) , Rio Grande New Mexico, US

okay. can you read and run class III/IV whitewater? I hope so that is a bare minimum. if not stay home.
Yep, back before the internet we used to run this shit not having any idea what we were getting into and that was back when rivers ran high. Being blind/ignorant was way more exciting then staying home! I guess we did have Fletcher Anderson's Rivers Of The Southwest.