Take out at Pearce Ferry?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Days Ago   #1

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 09
Take out at Pearce Ferry??

Hey you salty buzzards!! What do you hear about the ramp at Pearce and taking out there? I'll be down that way in March and will be taking out there instead of Diamond. Thanks for any information

flite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Days Ago   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Whaddya wanna know?

I hope to never takeout at diamond ever again. The road beats the shit out of everything, its more expensive than another couple days on the water, you get some more rapids, couple good hikes and helicopter alley gives you flashbacks to 'Nam and recalibrates you to accept society once again.

Ramp at Pearce is nice. Two concrete lanes if you are loading straight onto a trailer and a bunch of dirt for de rigging. You can drive your rig right to your gear pile. It can be a little muddy if you are at low water but you're gonna have to clean all your shit anyway. There are shitters there.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #3

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
couldn't agree with Zach more!
T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Days Ago   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
There are shitters there.
Last time I was there...there was 18 layers of clogging sewage in every one of the toilets due to lack of water in the cisterns... I'm pretty sure the turd I was forced to add to pile was the cleanest thing in that bathroom. Hopefully its better now...but its never been pristine.

Other then that...I agree that I heavily prefer Pearce over Diamond. I've never taken out at Diamond in the four trips so far, but I've heard stories about that road and the Hualapai access fees put a damper on things too. On my last trip me and a few other guys split off from the group and ran down to Pearce overnight. Ran the rapids, hit the Travertine Canyon Jungle Gym, lashed up a few miles from Seperation Canyon and night floated out. I think we hit the ramp around 3-4am.

My first trip we pushed most of the day and ended up hitting Quartermaster mid afternoon and it SUCKED BALLS. Helicopters flying 500' over your head every 90 seconds the entire time. The other times we night floated it and it was SOOO much better.

Its basically a requirement for me to go on a trip to go to Pearce... not a complete deal breaker but I'm lucky enough to have gotten a few invites for the last few years and I can pick and choose which trip to go on and that is a pre-requisite. At the very least I need to be able to split from the group if the rest wants to take out at Diamond...but its nice to have a group do it.

If you have a full trip...its like $70 minimum per person to take out at Diamond just in Hualapaid access fees...so its not a small amount of money.

Oh...and there is an an In n' Out burger an hour from Pearce... great stop for first "civilization" food for those of us who don't have easy access to it all the time.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
EM how did you find Pearce in the middle of the night? I haven't been on the canyon so this might be obvious but it seems like it would be hard to find a takeout in the dark.
Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post
EM how did you find Pearce in the middle of the night? I haven't been on the canyon so this might be obvious but it seems like it would be hard to find a takeout in the dark.
Its actually an amazing way to say goodbye to the canyon. I've hit it on a full moon night and a very dark night and they are both great. Amazing to be floating looking at the stars. The full moon night was awesome too... no need for flashlights at all and its a pretty thing. I actually slept most of that night since I was driving... but I've been in charge of staying up and keeping off the banks on the other trips.

You'll definitely want to set the rafts up with some usable oars on the outside and a couple people to stay up and man them. A couple of bright tight beam flashlights are very helpful too. Not hard to stay away from the walls...but its almost certain you'll get close a few times during the night. You gotta watch out for sand bars and getting stuck in eddies in a few places too. Its all flatwater though...so its pretty mellow overall.

I've gotten to the boat ramp while its dark several times and its honestly not too bad. The first time I did it we were overreacting to everything since no one wanted to miss it...but its pretty obvious when you come up on it. You'll definitely want to pay attention and keep an eye on the maps or even better use a GPS to keep track of where you are. If you do get there late, it might be better to just stop at the last camp, which is about a mile from the takeout. On my 2017 trip we did that because we got there about 2-3am...and we just tied the boats off to shore and everyone went back to sleep.

The second time I did it, which was the same one as the full moon version and worked perfectly from a logistics standpoint (though not as pretty as floating down the river as the sun goes down...the canyon walls are huge down there...as big as anywhere in the canyon). We didn't push off down the river till about 8pm and got to the takeout around 7am so it was light out when we hit the ramp. We floated to Spencer Canyon(a camp a few miles past the end of the rapids), ate dinner and let everyone groove and get their beds made up on the rafts (after lashing them together with cam straps frame to frame).

You just have to get the timing right. Depending on flows(higher flows its a bit quicker and lower slower)...its about 3-4mph average. I think its 55 or so miles from Diamond and 40 something from the end of the rapids... so it takes about 11 hours.

All that said... you definitely want to be vigilant and not miss the ramp. Its not hard to miss so no don't worry too much...but don't miss it since this is what lies a bit less then a mile from the ramp (and why most can't float to Lake Mead anymore)...

My first trip down... fairly high water (~20k cfs with Powell outflow plus monsoon runoff conditions)

More recent at lower winter flows
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
Whaddya wanna know?

I hope to never takeout at diamond ever again. The road beats the shit out of everything, its more expensive than another couple days on the water, you get some more rapids, couple good hikes and helicopter alley gives you flashbacks to 'Nam and recalibrates you to accept society once again.

Ramp at Pearce is nice. Two concrete lanes if you are loading straight onto a trailer and a bunch of dirt for de rigging. You can drive your rig right to your gear pile. It can be a little muddy if you are at low water but you're gonna have to clean all your shit anyway. There are shitters there.

Spot on analysis.

I heard the ramp has washed out some on the upstream side, but hasn't affected the concrete.

Last year the shitters were pretty nasty, but they came and cleaned them as we were derigging. The SCAT machine was busted as well.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #8

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
We were there on Dec. 21 just a few weeks ago. There were some pretty severe gullies eroded into the silt on both sides of the ramp, but not a huge deal. Huge, wide ramp, shitters, lots of room to stage gear and organize. We took out a day early, so our trucks didn't get there until several hours after we did, so our gear was pretty well laid out. only took us about 30 minutes to load the trucks and trailers when they got there. Had 1 group of kayakers taking out at the same time, but we didn't get in each others way at all. Might be a little more exciting if several groups were taking off at the same time.
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #9

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Good to know, I'll be taking out there on the 10th of March. Thanks for the intel !!
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
I missed Pearce a couple years ago and am now dead. That rapid is lethal. Still recirculating to this day!
fishingraft is offline   Reply With Quote