South Fork of the Rio Grande, South Fork, CO - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-11-2011   #1

South fork, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
South Fork of the Rio Grande, South Fork, CO

Anyone know anything about this run as of July, 2011?

winthrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Are you interested in the class V stretch, or the II-III lower stretch? The class V is all roadside and easily scouted, and you don't need to scout the lower....because it's II-III.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #3

South fork, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
So Fork of the Rio Grande

I'm interested in the Cl II-III run. What do the flows need to be? What about obstacles?
winthrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011   #4

Here's the gage: Detail Graph

400 is my minimum and it's much better at 600.

If you put in at the class V takeout, there's a good chance of running into a fence in the first mile. There's a nasty manmade ledge below the Park Creek bridge where the river was moved for the highway. A few hundred yards above the Beaver Creek bridge there has been at times a single strand of barbed wire across the river. Kayaks can get under it by staying close to shore, but it's hard to see and someone could float into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winthrop View Post
I'm interested in the Cl II-III run. What do the flows need to be? What about obstacles?
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #5

Phoenix, Arizona
What about the class V section? How long is it, any major obstacles to look out for? I'm heading to BV for the 4th and would love to get something a little more interesting then the Ark at 300+. Thanks
spahle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #6
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Uhm......

Detail Graph
Old 06-28-2012   #7

durango, Colorado
last time i drove the pass it looked a bit low, and your big problems are going to be wood, there was plenty of that as well dont think it would be worth the drive
carnuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #8

It's not running. And, there is a log in the lead in of the first class V that could be removed to make the rapid better when it does run next year.
Old 06-28-2012   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuba View Post
last time i drove the pass it looked a bit low, and your big problems are going to be wood, there was plenty of that as well dont think it would be worth the drive
"a bit low?".....try melted out and unrunnable. The gauge currently show 56 cfs at South Fork, with 13 of that coming in from Beaver Creek which is below the run.

Here are a couple pics of it at 300 back in April....and that was just barely too low:

If your going to be in BV around the 4th and want class V I would go check out the bottom 4 on Lake Creek, should be low but runnable.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #10

Phoenix, Arizona
Yea, looked at that run last time I was up there. This time I'll be with my regular paddling crew so it's on the list. Kiss me looked nasty when we were there but the others looks fun.
spahle is offline   Reply With Quote