Shoshone running? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-08-2018   #1

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Shoshone running?

Hey everyone, I can’t find any info on this anywhere but I noticed Shoshone and barrel springs were both bone dry yesterday. Looks like the were holding up water at hanging lake dam. Does anyone know when the water will be released again? Hoping to R2 Shoshone today in a 9.5’ trib but would like to know if there’ll be water. If anyone has info I’d appreciate it. My apologies if I missed a previous post on this. Cheers!

fids11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2018   #2

New Castle, Colorado
I was out there yesterday, the guide companies were all still running it in paddle boats.
JPG87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018   #3

Was fine today get off the couch!
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2018   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Here's a handy-dandy little resource that our tax dollars pay for:

COLORADO BASIN RIVER FORECAST CENTER

Fine level for Sho Sho.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018   #5

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Like the other posters said, running OK. You were looking at the section upstream of the power plant
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018   #6

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
shoshone is literally always running. there might be ice clogging the channels in january, but there is always, always enough water in the run.
Old 09-13-2018   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Just to be clear,,,, "Hanging Lake Dam" is nothing more than a diversion. Either the Colorado River water is diverted to a pipe going mostly to the powerplant at the top of Shoshone or it is going thru "Hanging Lake Dam" into Barrel Springs, or,,,, some splitting between the two. The "Dam" has essentially nearly zero retention so the question of "When will it be released?" is invalid. Below the powerplant, anything coming down the Colorado River is back into the Colorado River into what we call "Shoshone". Please, anyone correct me if my understanding is incorrect. Or, please explain it better than I can......
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018   #8

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Mike,

This year could possibly be a first. Green Mountain and other CO reservoirs are pretty much tapped out. Releases have been very high for quite a while. Even back to late last year. Everything is being doubled-down to keep Lake Mead above rationing levels.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019   #9

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
Just to be clear,,,, "Hanging Lake Dam" is nothing more than a diversion. Either the Colorado River water is diverted to a pipe going mostly to the powerplant at the top of Shoshone or it is going thru "Hanging Lake Dam" into Barrel Springs, or,,,, some splitting between the two. The "Dam" has essentially nearly zero retention so the question of "When will it be released?" is invalid. Below the powerplant, anything coming down the Colorado River is back into the Colorado River into what we call "Shoshone". Please, anyone correct me if my understanding is incorrect. Or, please explain it better than I can......

Thank you so many people still believe the dam holds water because of barrel being dry my friends still donít fully believe me.
ColoradoKayak15 is offline   Reply With Quote