Sen. Mark Udall on Brown's Canyon National Monument - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 12-17-2013   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Sen. Mark Udall on Brown's Canyon National Monument

FYI - Senator Mark Udall sent this out to his list last week. Udall is one of the prime movers for this proposal.

-AH

Quote:
Dear Fellow Coloradan,

Video:

After working for nearly two years to develop a collaborative, community-driven plan to create Browns Canyon National Monument, I was pleased to recently announce the introduction of my bill in Nathrop. Watch video.

Browns Canyon National Monument and Wildness Area
This proposal would protect some of our most-loved river rafting spots along the iconic Arkansas River between Salida and Buena Vista by designating the area as a national monument and the adjacent Browns Canyon as wilderness. The official designation would literally put the region on the map, drawing more visitors to its world-class outdoor recreation opportunities and supporting the local tourism economy.

Working with Chaffee County Businesses

During my most recent trip to the communities near Browns Canyon, I met with local small businesses in Buena Vista and Salida to hear how my Browns Canyon legislation will help their businesses to grow. You can see the photos from these visits on Flickr.

Coloradans don’t have to look far to see how truly magnificent our state is. From the towering 14,000-foot peaks of the High Country to the grasslands of the Eastern Plains, I love calling Colorado home. Our diverse and stunning landscapes allow us to enjoy the outdoors year-round with plentiful hiking, skiing, hunting, fishing, kayaking and dozens of other activities to keep us moving.

The public lands that form the foundation of our high quality of life also sustain thousands of jobs that boost our state’s economy. Colorado’s outdoor recreation economy contributes more than $13 billion annually to our state, supporting over 125,000 jobs and generating almost $1 billion in state and local tax revenues.

That is why I can say with confidence that when we work hand-in-hand with communities to preserve public lands, we are supporting jobs, our economy and Colorado’s high quality of life. Our world-class natural amenities are one of our greatest economic engines, and preserving public lands helps keep jobs, entrepreneurs, and investment moving to and thriving in our state.

I became engaged in the movement to recognize Browns Canyon because local residents and businesses asked me to. I worked side-by-side over the last 18 months with Chaffee County leaders, residents, businesses, and other stakeholders to hold several public meetings and conduct more than 50 face-to-face meetings. The resulting bill is emblematic of how public lands bills should be done: from the bottom up and based on what the community wants.

My community-driven proposal designates 22,000 acres along the Arkansas River canyon and surrounding backcountry as the Browns Canyon National Monument, including 10,500 acres as Wilderness. This bill preserves visitor access and protects existing legal uses as they are now, so fishing, hunting, livestock grazing, commercial outfitting, mountain biking and motorized use will all continue as they have been. I’d also like to note that this will not be like a National Park Service monument. Instead, this monument will stay under the same management as it has now — the Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Forest Service and the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area.

I believe that we don’t inherit the land and water from our parents — we borrow it from our children. Having visited Browns Canyon and kayaked the Arkansas River many times, I know that Coloradans from all walks of life agree. That's why I am dedicated to leading the fight — with Coloradans by my side — to ensure that future generations of Coloradans can enjoy the Browns Canyon National Monument and experience this unique mix of exciting whitewater and wilderness backcountry.

Visit my website to learn more about my work to create the Browns Canyon National Monument and Wilderness Area.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for posting Andy.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there currently about this bill. I have heard quite a bit of negative feedback from people lately who seem to think this will lead to increased regulations, increased user fees, and eventually a private boater permit system.

I am in the process of writing a letter to the editor of the Chaffee County Times and Mountain Mail explaining some of the details of the current management structure and plans for future management and how they will be affected by Udall's proposal.

I do believe in the long run this might lead to a discussion about permits on the Arkansas, but I don't see it happening in the next decade. The topic will be discussed in length at the upcoming Citizen's Task Force meeting along with potential rationing/permitting of both private boaters and private fishermen in section 3 (Salida to Vallie Bridge).
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks Logan. Permits was the first thing I thought of, but don't see it mentioned anywhere.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The proposal itself only says that management will remain in the hands of the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area State Parks.

The Management Plan has included the possibility of private permitting for well over a decade, but the preferred method of dealing with increased use up to this point has been to arbitrarily increase carrying capacities when necessary.... but the wording leaves the possibility available to managers:

"Whenever use on any one river stretch exceeds 75 percent of capacities established for the commercial or private sector 5 times in any one season, BLM and CDPOR will begin to determine how allowable use will be assigned within that sector. This determination will be made:

> According to standards for Public Land Health and the Recreation Management Guidelines,
> As an addendum (not amendment) to this plan,
> With opportunity for public and Citizen's Task Force review and comment provided,
> Include assignment of launch times and group/party size specifications as appropriate.

* Exceeding prescribed carrying capacities more than 5 times in a season will trigger use allocation the following year for the affected stretch of river. Use allocation will be applied only to the user group that exceeded capacities.

* At the time use allocations are implemented on each segment, place limits on maximum numbers of boats per group and on launches in each segment to reduce crowding and congestion, promote visitor safety and enhance resource appreciation."

"c. Direct Controls
* Develop appropriate stops for overnight use for both commercial 2-37
and private boaters and limit all camping to designated sites.
* From Ruby Mountain to Stone Bridge, limit all river lunch stops
to designated sites."

http://www.parks.state.co.us/SiteCol...RAChapter2.pdf

These topics really don't have anything to do with the Wilderness/Monument proposal, other than possible long-term outcomes of increased traffic in an already popular area. I do feel current managers have no desire to implement these actions, but still they are there in the Management Plan.

If you have an opinion on how this document should be changed for the future email your private boater CTF reps:

Leslie - [email protected]

Mark - [email protected]
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #5

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Thanks Logan
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #6

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Thanks for posting Andy.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there currently about this bill. I have heard quite a bit of negative feedback from people lately who seem to think this will lead to increased regulations, increased user fees, and eventually a private boater permit system.

We're seeing the same kind of pushback here in WV with the Birthplace of Rivers National Monument.

Birthplace of Rivers National Monument

I'm all for it but you'd think that the place was getting caged in by the way alot of people talk about it.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #7

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Thanks lmyers...
It is true that with or without the monument, there is nothing guarenteeing that a permit requirement for private boaters won't be in the near future for Brown's. It is all based on user days.

My take on the issue...
The push for monument status has got the backing by almost all of the major rafting companies in the area. Good people who obviously have an interest in attracting visitors to our area. I understand where they're coming from and I'd be solidly behind it if I were in their shoes.

The current biggest envirnomental threat to Brown's Canyon is human recreation. By far the largest user group is the rafters (often a non-stop train of rubber going by in the summer). Of the rafters, the large majority of boats are commercial.

Commercial and private folks generally get along well and most of the impact is in the immediate river corridor. Currently AHRA does a great job of providing numerous very well maintained put-ins and take outs with bathrooms, camping, etc.

AHRA, BLM, and the Wilderness Study Area currently protect the area. With the designation change, none of the existing access will change for any of the user groups (including the Union Pacific Railroad). However, by achieving monument status, the marketability of the area increases significantly. The following link is from Senator Udall's website basically saying the same thing:
Putting a Star on the Map for Browns Canyon | Mark Udall | U.S. Senator for Colorado

It seems to come down to supporting the monument with the hopes of bolstering our local economy, or hoping that Brown's is protected a little longer by attracting people to the numerous other rivers in the state without a "star on the map".

I know we're not doomed either way and it'll be fun to see if this bait and switch really plays out...
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #8

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseybailey View Post

I know we're not doomed either way and it'll be fun to see if this bait and switch really plays out...
What's the bait and switch?
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #9

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Bait 'em with the hope of protection, switch it to an increase in the number of users. Everyone is happy.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #10

C. Springs, Colorado
The problem is boats.....not people. The way they see it.... 8 kayakers have the same inpact as an 8 pod of 8 people from Noah's Ark. We were lucky that the drought hit when it did and broke everyones patterns of vacationing in the valley If not.... there would already be a permit system in place for Browns. If the hopes are to increase tourism......permits won't be that far off in the future.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark, browns, browns canyon