Selway access and runoff - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Selway access and runoff

Hey Buzzards. I have a May 30 permit. I've called the Ranger station and been told they have not made any decisions about launches but they are plowing the road this week. The warm weather has started the run-off in earnest - about 9 ft today. I'm hoping if the weather holds for a while the peak will hit and we can get a run in at the end of the month. Thought this would be a good time to start a thread to spread any beta people have. Carve dog, what say ye? Thanks

jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
9 feet!!! Maybe at Lowell? Here’s what the Paradise gauge was today, which is still PLENTY big.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd730757.pdf
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Carbondale, Colorado
Yeah correct. Lowell gauge. Just starting to watch the levels so didn't make that distinction. I'll refer to the Paradise gauge in future posts. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Well, Idaho is at Stage 2 for re-opening, so there's a mandatory 14 day self-quarantine for non-Idaho residents.

If you're coming in through Darby, MT; Montana is at our own Stage 2, which also has a mandatory 14 day self-quarantine for non-Idaho residents.

So...you need to hit the road tomorrow.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Carbondale, Colorado
According to the press release I read one day ago, Idaho is at stage 1 starting today. Stage 1 mandates the 14 day quarantine. Stage two will extend from May 15 through May 29th. So we will be in stage 3 when we arrive. Stage 2 and 3 regulations I read don't mention any quarantine but I know that can change. Let me know if you have information to the contrary. I'll follow the rules but I'm not going to sit on my thumbs and get caught flat footed when they open things up and the river is in prime condition (on a permit I've been drawing for for 20 years). I realize it's a low probability trip but just trying to be ready if the window opens. But thanks for the advice
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Not trying to rain on your permit. I hope it happens for you!
And hell yeah, timing should work out, so definitely be prepared to hit the road and get to the river if the planets align. (and if they don't, you can bump it to 2021 and still go!!!)

I've been invited on a 5/24 MF launch, but I think we'll be a week early to make it happen (so yeah I'm jealous!)...fortunately it can get extended to 2021.

Cheers!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Is the FS plowing the Paradise road?
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8

Carbondale, Colorado
Yes, that is what I'm told
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
How are these 14 day self quarantines proposed? Hotels? Seems like you'd have a hell of a lot less contact if your group just paid at the pump and hit the river. River trip would be a quarantine of sorts.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10

Truckee, California
Paddling Since: 1988
Roads to Selway and MFS

We have a permit for the Selway for 5/20 and a permit for the MFS on 5/25. So any information you have on the roads being open would be very helpful.

Our two permits fall into Stage Two. The biggest discussion point is the self-isolation for non-Idahoans. And of course, this is not a "Idaho" thing- but everywhere. One of the main reasons behind this rule is not to spread the virus to other communities as you "visit" one community to the next. I live in a small community that can easily quadruple in population from tourists over a 3-day weekend. I work at the local hospital and we would be easily overwhelmed by tourist with COVID without this rule.

With that said, I think it is possible to do these trips with NO contact of people outside your party - and specifically no contact with any Idahoans (unless they are on your trip). You have to prepare and buy all food in your home town, and plan on preparing and eating your own food on the road. That is doable. Filling up for gas can be safely accomplished by using clorox wipes or gloves at self filling stations. Strictly no contact with others. Piss in the woods and take an extra goover box. Shuttles are a risk as well that can be managed. I have talked to one shuttle company and they have plans in place of how to protect themselves and us. Essentially wipe and spray the interior of the vehicle when we leave it, give it time before the shuttle people pick it up, then repeat for the shuttle drivers. So although not easy, it is doable.

The obvious elephant in the room is if someone in your party got so sick they had to go to the hospital or if your group required some sort of rescue involving people outside your party. Then that is a whole other shitshow for sure.

So I am curious as to what some of you folks are thinking about these rules and how to protect all involved.

Thanks ahead for your constructive comments and thoughts.
TGGSpin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access