Selway access and runoff - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11

S.F. Bay Area, California
Paddling Since: 1981
Not sure about Idaho, but I know the Montana 14-day quarantine for non-residents specifically says that camping is not a valid quarantine activity.

joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
What is a valid quarantine activity? Are you supposed to go to a hotel? Im having a hard time understanding what they actually want you to do?
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13

Newman Lake, Washington
Paddling Since: 2010
This is what is posted on the Idaho website...

Persons entering the state of Idaho are required to self-quarantine for 14 days. If an individual will be present in Idaho for fewer than 14 days, that individual must self-quarantine for the duration of their visit. For purposes of clarity, this directive does not apply to persons performing an Essential Purpose or persons who as part of their normal life live in one state and travel to another state for an Essential Purpose.
“Essential Purpose” is interpreted broadly and includes travel required for personal safety; to obtain food, beverage or medicine; for medical care; pursuant to a lawful permit, license, court order, or rule; to care for others; and to perform work, services or functions deemed critical to public health and safety, as well as economic and national security. Travel into the state of Idaho for recreation is not an Essential Purpose.
Any individual required by this directive to self-quarantine shall be responsible for any and all costs associated with the requirement to self-quarantine, including transportation, lodging, food, and medical care.
athelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
What is a valid quarantine activity? Are you supposed to go to a hotel? Im having a hard time understanding what they actually want you to do?

They want you to stay home...... travel from out of state to the rural areas for the purpose of recreation is not part of these first phases of reopening. Many of the areas have maybe one or two known +ves in the entire county, get a spike in numbers and we will all be shut down again. We lost a GC to this, I feel your pain but now is not the time to go boating out of state.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15

Truckee, California
Paddling Since: 1988
Roads to Selway and MFS

Thanks for the comments. I do agree with your thoughts.
Stage One and Stage Two of the reopening states "Minimize non-essential travel and adhere to CDC guidelines regarding isolation following travel." Whereas stage three states "Non-essential travel can resume to locations that allow it and do not have ongoing transmission (adhere to CDC guidelines regarding isolation following travel)."

Additionally - at least for the Selway permit, the Forest Service is requiring some sort of written documentation showing how you and your party have self-isolated for the 14 days. Interesting enough, the MFS rangers are not requiring that info. In fact, they are decidedly not interpreting the state's guidelines, but leaving it to each group to evaluate their situation and determine if they can comply with the rules.

So basically, at this point, any launch dates before June 1st are extremely restrictive. Basically you have to be an Idahoan to boat on the Selway or MFS or Main before June 1st.
TGGSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by wshutt View Post
They want you to stay home...... travel from out of state to the rural areas for the purpose of recreation is not part of these first phases of reopening. Many of the areas have maybe one or two known +ves in the entire county, get a spike in numbers and we will all be shut down again. We lost a GC to this, I feel your pain but now is not the time to go boating out of state.
Thats the way I was seeing it too. They don't really tell you how they want you to self quarantine. If the wilderness doesn't count they want you to acquire lodging which puts you "in contact". Seems counter productive. Why don't they just say, don't come.

I as well have a GC trip for 2022. Should be taking out tomorrow.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17

Montrose, Colorado
When I ran the Selway, we came in from the Montana side to get there. We stopped at the Ranger station on the way to Paradise Campground, and the ranger station was in Montana. All of this kind of makes me think you could self-Quarantine anywhere as long as you don't really violate the quarantine prior to launch...
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18

White Bird, 83554
Paddling Since: 2003
At the end of May, there is no way to get to Paradise (by driving anyway!) other than going in from the Montana side. Not sure how it would work with self-quarantining in Montana for 14 days, then going to Idaho and launching that day or the next day.

This is all a huge bummer. I live in Idaho but had to cancel a much-anticipated fishing trip on the Missouri River the third week in April. We were planning to camp, cook all our food in camp, do our own shuttles, and were bringing our own boat. In other words, we weren't planning to contact anyone outside of our 3-person group and were staying in camp when not on the river. I'm certain we could have done it without putting anyone at risk. But based on the self-quarantine rules, it was a no go.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19

Truckee, California
Paddling Since: 1988
I have yet to see any written guidelines saying how to self-Isolate. I believe the intention is that you, and whomever you are with, that are coming into a different state, must isolate yourself from the local residents, for 14 days. If I drove 1 mile over the boarder of Idaho and stayed in the woods for 14 days - I would meet the requirements, assuming I did not interact with the locals. So what is the difference between one mile past the boarder and 100 - not much from the point of isolation. And what is the difference of isolating in the woods or the river - not much - as long as you don't interact with the locals. And obviously, the main problem would be filling up on gas, but I still think that can be achieved safely.

The self-isolation rule is not what is stopping our group from doing the 3 trips we had in Idaho (Selway, MFS, Main - and yes all back to back - dang), but more so the rule that only essential travel is allowed. And as noted in previous posts that recreation is not considered essential.

So for anyone having trips in May - you pretty much are confined to your state. And even then, what if you live in a boarder town - then what?

The bottom line to this whole exercise is to not infect others or be infected yourself. Stay healthy and stay out of the hospitals. This virus is not going away as we change from stage 1 to 2 to 3 to 4. But instead, we have to learn how to interact with other people safely. And that is a learning process for all of us.
TGGSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Anybody have any comments on the flows right now? I'm a little confused about the consistent drop all week. Running about 4 ft at Paradise right now - 12000 cfs at Lowell. With all the warm weather we have been having in Colorado I'd have thought the rivers would be roaring up there. Cold? Have we already peaked? Any local input appreciated
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access