Paddling Since: 2012
Scary!

The Cortez Journal 06/03/2015 | Assault suspected after rafters hit cable

SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015   #2

cedar city, Utah
Holy crap! I haven't kept up with Colorado law in a few years so I am not sure how this all panned out on other rivers but hopefully some good will come from this situation in the form of boater protection if its not already in place. Good on the Sheriff for investigating this and being so open about its danger as well as the fire department for stepping up to remove the hazard.

If this was intentionally placed as a weapon than I sincerely hope the criminal is charged.

Best of luck in recovery to the boaters, both physically and emotionally. That is a serious event to unpackage.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #3

Cortez, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
Holy crap! I haven't kept up with Colorado law in a few years so I am not sure how this all panned out on other rivers but hopefully some good will come from this situation in the form of boater protection if its not already in place. Good on the Sheriff for investigating this and being so open about its danger as well as the fire department for stepping up to remove the hazard.

If this was intentionally placed as a weapon than I sincerely hope the criminal is charged.

Best of luck in recovery to the boaters, both physically and emotionally. That is a serious event to unpackage.

Phillip

Yes. We'll see what the investigation reveals. At best, it was a terribly ignorant and thoughtless thing to do, which is possible (possible that some landowner was trying to get across the river or something). And at worst, a malicious and criminal act. The owner of the boat is a close friend and I know most of the others. And in recent times, we (in this area) have had some contentious interactions around river access, water use and property owner rights. We'll see what shakes out.
grumper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2015   #4

Iowa City, Iowa
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumper13 View Post
And in recent times, we (in this area) have had some contentious interactions around river access, water use and property owner rights. We'll see what shakes out.
The owner trying to cross the river, that low?? not

Id bet it was the psychotic owner after the colorado interactions Iv had.
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015   #5
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Wire

I've seen this on Willow Creek in Steamboat before. Check to see if the wire happens to fall on a property line.
Old 06-10-2015   #6
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Think assault charges are to light if the person is caught, that cable could have killed someone. That is attempted murder in my opinion.
Old 06-10-2015   #7

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Think assault charges are to light if the person is caught, that cable could have killed someone. That is attempted murder in my opinion.
Agreed. I hope the party responsible is charged with a significant crime.
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015   #8

Iowa City, Iowa
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddle Iraq View Post
Agreed. I hope the party responsible is charged with a significant crime.
What ever happened? I see another case..

What doesn't the land owner realize when he does that?

I know exactly where that wire would be if it harmed a friend or relative of mine..
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015   #9

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Has anyone ever had problems with that owner complaining about the traffic on his river/property? If so, that would say a lot.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
The Cortez Journal 06/11/2015 | No charges in river cable incident

“Their goal was to take measures to ensure this was not a problem for rafters,” said Hancock, explaining that the cable was lowered into the water when not in use.

Because that isn't just as, if not more dangerous?

According to Hancock, local authorities remain unsure whether boaters are legally allowed to navigate the Dolores River when passing through private property, telling KSJD officials that additional research on the topic was required.

Here we go again. Why do they never know the law? Someone have AW contact them sooner than later so they can be informed.
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote