San Miguel access and camping - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

San Miguel access and camping

Hi I would like to do the San Miguel from Fall Creek Rd to Norwood (overnight). Is there a real put-in at Fall Creek Rd? And is there some camping near the Fall Creek Rd put-in? If not, what would be a good spot to camp at the night before we put-in?
Thank you

Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

ridgway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Caddis flats or specie Creek. Upper or lower Beaver. Limited options. Deep Creek legal put in. Not at fall Creek. Private property. It's stout at 1400. Did July 4.
dpwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Can you please give any more details about put in/take out locations. I keep reading about various places (like fall creek) but don't seem to see what looks like a put in from google earth. Also, is there any shuttle companies? And what's the best section to run as a day float this weekend (13ft oar rig)? Thanks
Treswright3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Ridgway, Colorado
From top to bottom:

Bilk Creek- Kayak put-in, you could maybe get a small raft down.
Deep Creek- 1/2mi. below Bilk behind CDOT maint. shed, trailer accessible.
Silverpick- 3ish mi. further down. Not sure about this. It's not commonly used.

These upper put-ins mean that you're running Sawpit rapid. 700cfs is my cut off for this in a raft.

Down Vally Park- Above Placerville, below Fall creek. Trailer accessible. Not much of an eddy.
Placerville- Trailer accessible, no eddy, gravel bar.

From Placerville to Specie the river becomes braided and shallow. Lots of wood but, passable IF you choose the proper channel.

Caddis Flats- Trailer accessible. Most developed of the put-ins. Limited camping.
Specie- 1mi. below Caddis, Trailer accessible.
Upper Beaver- Trailer accessible, easy take out to miss. Good thing that there is...
Lower Beaver- 1/4 mi. below UB, trailer accessible.

Below LB is the Norwood canyon. The river and road part ways. This is a trecherous section, not for the faint of heart (search Wayward Boatman).

The next take out is Ledges Recreation area, Trailer accessible. It's 3+hrs. from the Beavers.
Pinion Bridge is 2mi. below that and is your final take-out. Don't go past it. It's a steep, short carry to your trailer.

Caddis or Specie to Beaver is the go-to 1/2 day run. 1.5hrs.
Upper is pretty spicy class 2/3 with a class 4 swim.
Norwood canyon is more mellow but has big fun surf waves in the Ledges area (mostly below Ledges take-out).

Have fun!
rtsideup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Really can’t thank you enough. Thanks for taking the time to share that info, I’ll tell you there isn’t much info that I could find. I’ll be running Saturday.
Treswright3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
access