San Juan River - Closure Update - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
San Juan River - Closure Update

I read this morning that "San Juan County Board of Health voted today to officially allow all local ordinances to expire and fall solely under the
governor's orders. San Juan County will follow Governor Herbert's Phased Guidelines under the Orange (Moderate Risk)
category with no alterations or variations." Gist that I got was 6ft social distancing, out of state visitors must self isolate for 14 days (river counts? idk on that, seems isolating) and no groups over 20.

I think the San Juan river was following local guidance on this issue, meaning they would assume the State orange level guidelines? We have a lunch May 21 and got email yesterday stating permits through May 7 have been cancelled and they are discussing rollover protocol, as other permits have done like G. Canyon, Dino, etc. Anyone have different or more info?

State Guidelines

San Juan Couty COVID update

tjligon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjligon25 View Post
I read this morning that "San Juan County Board of Health voted today to officially allow all local ordinances to expire and fall solely under the
governor's orders. San Juan County will follow Governor Herbert's Phased Guidelines under the Orange (Moderate Risk)
category with no alterations or variations." Gist that I got was 6ft social distancing, out of state visitors must self isolate for 14 days (river counts? idk on that, seems isolating) and no groups over 20.

I think the San Juan river was following local guidance on this issue, meaning they would assume the State orange level guidelines? We have a lunch May 21 and got email yesterday stating permits through May 7 have been cancelled and they are discussing rollover protocol, as other permits have done like G. Canyon, Dino, etc. Anyone have different or more info?

State Guidelines

San Juan Couty COVID update
I'm not much help but the smith is opening and in MT the 14 day quarantine is before getting to put in.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

San Juan

I received information that said the same, no permits now, and they will allow launches after May 7. The did say that they will make changes as needed and will post any changes in a weekly basis. I'm not going to do my food shopping till the week before. Safety first.
zercon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Nederland, Colorado
In the same boat (HA!). Our launch is May 16th and we received the same email.

They did automatically move us from Slickhorn E to Slickhorn C "due to the dire situation in the Navajo nation". I wouldn't be surprised if they open, but say no access to Navajo land. I don't think it's possible to get a Navajo permit right now anyways. I emailed the Navajo Nation a while back about requesting a permit for this trip, but never received a response.
RidgeLivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I have a 7/1 launch I have some concerns things won't be opened up yet or they'll be opened and closed again by the time my launch rolls around. I don't count on any trips being certain till you float around the corner and can't see the ranger anymore.
Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zercon View Post
I received information that said the same, no permits now, and they will allow launches after May 7. The did say that they will make changes as needed and will post any changes in a weekly basis. I'm not going to do my food shopping till the week before. Safety first.
This is the text of the email I received for my permit May 20. It doesn't specify what will be allowed after May 7. Can you provide a link to information that launches will be allowed after May 7?

"The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) continues to serve the public while doing our part to address COVID-19. Following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and recommendations from state and local public health authorities, the BLM has cancelled all permits for floating the San Juan River through May 7.

The health and safety of staff and visitors is our number one priority.

If you are scheduled to launch May 8 or later, your launch reservation is not affected at this time; however, your reservation may be cancelled in the future or there may be smaller group size limits and additional requirements to launch. Local managers are continually monitoring and assessing the situation, and plan to reevaluate the closure each week.

If your reservation is or has been cancelled by the BLM, all prepaid fees will be or have been automatically refunded. We are also looking into the feasibility of rescheduling trips for later this year or “rolling-over” lottery awarded launch dates to the 2021 season. If you are interested in rescheduling your cancelled trip this year or rolling your lottery award over to 2021, please contact the Monticello BLM San Juan River permit desk at (435) 587-1544. We will put your name on a contact list and notify you of the next steps if we are able to implement these options.

We understand that this is an unprecedented situation and that people can be affected in many ways. If you wish to cancel your reservation during this time of uncertainty, you will also be eligible for a refund of your user fees and the potential options above. If you cancel your permit 30 days or less before your entry date, you will need to contact the Monticello BLM San Juan River permit desk at (435) 587-1544 to request a refund."
chardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeLivin View Post
They did automatically move us from Slickhorn E to Slickhorn C "due to the dire situation in the Navajo nation".
That's odd since all the Slickhorn sites are adjacent to each other on river right, not the Navajo side. Perhaps there was another reason...
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8

Nederland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by chardog View Post
That's odd since all the Slickhorn sites are adjacent to each other on river right, not the Navajo side. Perhaps there was another reason...
Slickhorn E is actually river left (the only Slickhorn on that side) and requires a Navajo permit to stay.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeLivin View Post
Slickhorn E is actually river left (the only Slickhorn on that side) and requires a Navajo permit to stay.
Thanks, I see that now. https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/fi...01.14.2017.pdf
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10

Nederland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by chardog View Post
I was actually pretty stoked with the change. Our priority choices were Slickhorn C for the second to last night and Oljeto for the last night. We ended up getting neither of those intitially and were assigned to Slickhorn E, but then they changed us to Slickhorn C and Oljeto after everything started happening and people started cancelling.