San Juan River - Closure Update - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
seems to answer your question in the email you received

[QUOTE=chardog;771749]This is the text of the email I received for my permit May 20. It doesn't specify what will be allowed after May 7. Can you provide a link to information that launches will be allowed after May 7?

If you are scheduled to launch May 8 or later, your launch reservation is not affected at this time; however, your reservation may be cancelled in the future or there may be smaller group size limits and additional requirements to launch. Local managers are continually monitoring and assessing the situation, and plan to reevaluate the closure each week.

kwagunt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
They did the same for us, had slickhorn E and Steer Gulch, for us they just removed Slickhorn E now we only have Steer Gulch. We just assumed it was because they could control when River right opens, but not River left so better safe to just not use the Navajo camps. That was another concern of ours - with no one using the left bank camps, how crowded will the right bank camps get? IE hard to find open ones, etc.

Just FYI to anyone who does have have launches: I spoke to Valerie from Val's San Juan Shuttles and she did say if and when the river opens she will be open to shuttle vehicles, with some added steps like wiping down high touch car surfaces with disinfectant wipes, etc. We were planning on providing sanitizer in each car for the drivers as well.
tjligon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13

Nederland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjligon25 View Post
They did the same for us, had slickhorn E and Steer Gulch, for us they just removed Slickhorn E now we only have Steer Gulch. We just assumed it was because they could control when River right opens, but not River left so better safe to just not use the Navajo camps. That was another concern of ours - with no one using the left bank camps, how crowded will the right bank camps get? IE hard to find open ones, etc.

Just FYI to anyone who does have have launches: I spoke to Valerie from Val's San Juan Shuttles and she did say if and when the river opens she will be open to shuttle vehicles, with some added steps like wiping down high touch car surfaces with disinfectant wipes, etc. We were planning on providing sanitizer in each car for the drivers as well.
Thank you! I sent Val an email yesterday asking, but haven't heard back yet.

Another FYI - I called the San Juan Inn yesterday (right by the Mexican Hat bridge) and they said we are welcome to stop in to top off on ice and water as we float by.

I recall seeing very few folks camping on river left during our trip last year so hopefully that won't be an issue (if we do get to launch). Gotta hear soon, right? I'm assuming there will also be quite a few no-shows and maybe some will have to cancel due to group size limitations (again, if we're lucky enough for them to open.) I'm sitting on the edge of my seat.
RidgeLivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Just got updated email today 5/6. Permits canceled now through 5/15.

Seems to update approx every week but only those with permits in the canceled time period receive the email.
STD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15

Nederland, Colorado
Uggggggggggggggggggh. Now to decide what the hell to do with planning for our potential 5/16 launch.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16

Nederland, Colorado
Confirmed that BLM is assessing weekly and we should hear about 5/16 onwards next Wednesday.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Same for the Chama

BLM Taos will give an update on Rio Chama launches for 5/16 and beyond late next week. Currently closed through 5/15.
Good luck Ridgelivin. I hope your trip happens.
kwagunt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18

Nederland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwagunt2001 View Post
BLM Taos will give an update on Rio Chama launches for 5/16 and beyond late next week. Currently closed through 5/15.
Good luck Ridgelivin. I hope your trip happens.
I appreciate it! Luckily, it's a very small group so food prep and such isn't outrageous.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #19

Nederland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by STD* View Post
Just got updated email today 5/6. Permits canceled now through 5/15.

Seems to update approx every week but only those with permits in the canceled time period receive the email.
What time did that email come through last Wednesday if you don't mind sharing? Just trying to figure out when to brace for disappointment this coming Wednesday.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #20

Nederland, Colorado
San Juan closure extended. Our May 16th launch just got cancelled and refunded. I think they will make a determination for May 23 onwardws the middle of next week.

On a side note: After multiple recreation.gov refreshes this morning, I was somehow able to grab an abandoned Deso May 16 launch as a backup... so Deso here we come!!!