Salt river this year? - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-21-2019   #41

pojoaque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA81301 View Post
I have a Mar 3 launch permit and I can't go anymore.

Looking or someone to transfer this permit to....
please give me a call!

dave 505-501-1686

semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2019   #42

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I have not had the opportunity to canoe the Salt and I have a couple of questions. We have been issued a permit for putting on April 24th. In looking at the daily mean ave (USGS 09497500 SALT RIVER NEAR CHRYSOTILE, AZ), it looks like the flow on April 24th is 1,480cfs. https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/dvst...selection_list

From the Salt experienced paddlers, considering the winter so far and if it keeps up, I am curious if there will be this kind of water that late this year? What weather location do you normally use for the Salt?

Thanks for any thoughtful input.
Old 02-21-2019   #43

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
End of April is a tricky time, as if it warms up quickly in the West even with an above-average snowpack, this blows out in a few weeks among the smaller watersheds and the bottom falls out flow-wise. Keeping an eye on the SNOTEL sites, which for the upper Salt drainage are currently reading 70% median SWE and 105% precip-to-date (https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reports...ort=Western+US), which is neither great nor terrible...but checking daily the temps at these sites closer to your launch can give you an idea how much water is stored as well as how quickly its melting. In terms of the average flows, it is my understanding the historic hydrograph average has been weighted by many years of higher flow across the 80s, 90s, and 2000s that have become increasingly infrequent, so is not a fair assessment of what its like now...but perhaps some more local folks can give a better testimony of that.

Anecdotally I've been trying to get on the Salt for the last 5 years and had to bail on two permits both in April (early and late) because flow went well under 1200. This is a level at which it gets too boney for gear rafts though still remains runnable in a ducky and perhaps a canoe down to a few hundred CFS but of course YMMV. My fingers are crossed for late-March run this year
waterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2019   #44

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Thanks for the input, 94/112 as of today!
Old 02-22-2019   #45

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
It's gonna be busy next week. Any excessive 'impacts to the resource' at the end of the non-permit season will result in expanding the permit season, and we all know how that worked out with the 'unsuccessful lottery applications' emails that most of us received. Bring your toilets and firepans and behave like there are other people out there with you and there may be a chance that permit season won't grow.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019   #46

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
DoStep has it right. Treat the river, any river with respect. Dont leave your shit or other garbage around for others to deal with permit or no permit.
Do the right thing and leave no trace. Pretty simple.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019   #47

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
113% this morning. Hoping to have a good flow come march 18th.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019   #48

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Does anyone know of a shuttle company that offers secure storage for our vehicles while we're on the river? We used to use Forest and the Rock House , but that option has disappeared. We're leary of leaving our vehicles at the take out lot or the put-in for storage for that matter. Any help much appreciated .

Randy White
randowhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by randowhite View Post
Does anyone know of a shuttle company that offers secure storage for our vehicles while we're on the river? We used to use Forest and the Rock House , but that option has disappeared. We're leary of leaving our vehicles at the take out lot or the put-in for storage for that matter. Any help much appreciated .

Randy White
RiverMaps lists the following options:
Salt River Rafting www.raftthesalt.com
Wilderness Aware Rafting www.inaraft.com
Mild to Wild Rafting www.mild2wildrafting.com
Canyon Rio www.canyonrio.com

Do not know if any offer storage. Currently researching these companies to make a decision.
BGillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019   #50
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
We just used SRR last week. $125 first, $100 addl. M2W quoted me $165/125.

I asked them to shuttle as close to out T/O date as possible as the put in seems busier/ more secure than the T/O. Not sure how long the trucks sat at the T/O but they were all there unscathed.

Dude I talked to down there said that the takeout break ins have been dealt with and that there haven't been any the last few years. He said he tipped off the sheriff and they did some sting ops down there that cleaned it up and sent a message to the globe meth heads that its a bad idea.