Rustic Poudre New Bridge - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-12-2018   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Rustic Poudre New Bridge

I was up the canyon and noticed they are finally replacing the bridge at Crown Point drive on the Rustic stretch of the Poudre (it was a nasty hazard last season). The new bridge seems pretty low. At 3 feet on Pineview there is enough clearance but at higher water it might be low. Heads up.

almortal is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2018   #2

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
I would like to paddle up that way in June. Do you have a sense of when levels will be ideal?
Old 05-13-2018   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by almortal View Post
I was up the canyon and noticed they are finally replacing the bridge at Crown Point drive on the Rustic stretch of the Poudre (it was a nasty hazard last season). The new bridge seems pretty low. At 3 feet on Pineview there is enough clearance but at higher water it might be low. Heads up.
Damn, I hope they didnt blow the run.
El-Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2018   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster48pagosa View Post
I would like to paddle up that way in June. Do you have a sense of when levels will be ideal?
For rubber above 4 ft on Pineview is ideal and hardhats can get away with less, but it is definitely boatable now. Hopefully in June we will still have enough water. That stretch does have a shorter season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Butcher View Post
Damn, I hope they didnt blow the run.
Unclear now. At this level the clearance appeared about the same as the HW14 bridge that crosses the river above Indian Meadows, however the river is much wider there so with rising flows it might be different. Its an easy scout from the road if you are driving up, but I don't think there are any good portage eddies.
Old 05-14-2018   #5

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Thanks for that info. I would want to kayak Mishawaka, do you have a sense for when it will be about 3.5 ft.?
Old 05-14-2018   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster48pagosa View Post
Thanks for that info. I would want to kayak Mishawaka, do you have a sense for when it will be about 3.5 ft.?
Now.
Poudre Rock Report
Old 05-14-2018   #7

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Thanks! I would not be able to get up there until June 8th or so. Do you think flows will still be holding?
Old 05-16-2018   #8

Yes.

6/8/2014 5.2'
6/8/2015 4.7'
6/8/2016 4.4'
6/8/2017 4.8'

We have less snowpack this year than any of those, but I'd still hope we'll be at 4'+.

Just noticed you said you want to kayak Mishawaka - upper and lower Mish are both boatable at much lower flows. Maybe 2' in a raft? 1.5' in a kayak? I'm not sure. Upper and lower Rustic runs are the ones you need 3.5' to 4' or more.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018   #9

Jeff and I looked at it yesterday and boated under it. River left is the deeper side. At 4ft should be no issue for rafts. At 5ft I bet it will be an issue, probably not for kayaks. At 3.8ish feet yesterday, I'd say there was 5ish feet between water and bridge on river left. there are 2 small eddies upstream you could hit with a raft, but portaging on the road isn't. The greatest. lining the raft might be easiest, I know we've. Done that at the highway bridge. I think Jeff has a pic or two he was talking about posting.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 05-18-2018   #10

I should have take the pic from upstream. It drops pretty quickly right above the bridge, so floating down the clearance looks a lot less than when looking upstream.

Here's the link. I can never seem to get the IMG tags to work.

https://ibb.co/gpMOty

As John said, this was at about 3.8' on the rock.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote