Ruby/Horsethief/WW Small Plane Down - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-31-2018   #1

Silverthorne, Colorado
Ruby/Horsethief/WW Small Plane Down

Just a heads up for anyone heading to Ruby/HT/WW. "partially submerged in the river"

Quote:
WESTWATER, Utah (KKCO/KJCT) -- A rescue effort is underway after a single-engine plane crashed in the Colorado River, along the Colorado/Utah border.

Initial calls came in around 1:00 p.m. Tuesday. In a Facebook post, the Mesa County Sheriff's Office said preliminary reports indicate the 59-year-old solo pilot is conscious and breathing but suffered injuries.

A rafter in the area was able to help the pilot. Rescue operations are being set up at the Westwater Boat Ramp.

The plane is believed to be a Kitfox aircraft and is reportedly partially submerged in the river, according to the Sheriff's Office.

This story will be updated as additional informaiton comes in.

MagRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2018   #2

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
https://www.westernslopenow.com/news...lot/1337435580
Highside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018   #3

If he was flying in there on purpose that's fucked and I wish he would've died. I was almost killed by an incident in Dubuque canyon a couple years ago with a jack ass X military pilot flying a trainer plane up the canyon and cut the powerline right below the dam. There better be a damn good reason why he was there
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2018   #4

Wishing anyone to be killed is pretty callous and ridiculous.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018   #5
ric

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Yellow plane....

There has been a yellow plane flyinging there HR canyon for 5 years now,
Making touch and goes on the water, right in front of rafters !!!
Very dangerous stunt...
They don't belong in there, wondering why FAA allows this kind of dangerous
activity to ?
BLM does not seem to care either,
Someone is going to get killed, better the pilot then the rafters....
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018   #6

If he had no reason for being there I stand by what I said. I am still dealing with attorneys and litigation over that crap! It's nature's way of culling idiots IMO. If he had a good reason for being there I am sorry and hope he recovers soon.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018   #7

Englewood, Colorado
Yeah, the yellow plane (Piper Cub/Super Cub, I think). He landed it when I was there earlier this month. I mean, he landed the plane riverside in the canyon, just past Black Rocks. I was wondering about that as I paddled past, it's a designated wilderness area, right? But still, impressive piece of flying, that gravel bar was really, really short.

-Tom
Tom Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Don't the planes have registration numbers that can be reported to the FAA (hopefully with photodocumentation)? I think part of Westwater is in a Wilderness Study Area rather than a bona-fide Wilderness Area, a lot of R-H is probably privately owned and not subject to the requirements. If I'm incorrect, someone please clear it up.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018   #9

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Andy H.

You are correct, the tail number is the aircraft's license plate. Just type in the tail No. on google and 90% of the time all the information will come up. There are about three or four dirt landing strip's along the West Water run, Loma to Cisco, that are within a few hundred yards or closer to the river in uncontrolled air space (which are legal to fly in, following all FAA Regulations clearly). 99% of all pilots are very courteous. Thank goodness the rafters were there to rescue the pilot, that could of been a life or death situation very easily. Hopefully some day he can return the favor and help a rafter out.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
https://www.9news.com/article/news/l...r/73-579103649
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote