Rope in water! Pine Creek 7/10 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-10-2014   #1
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
Rope in water! Pine Creek 7/10

A buddy and I went to run triple drop down and I noticed a rope in the water (the foam and bag is on the surface, it looks like a big rafting style bag). It's about 50 yards up stream of the stealth put in river left of the RV sized boulder and about 10' up river of the little diversion. Probably 20' from river left shore. I'm not sure where it's snagged but I would assume there's at least 50' of rope in the river. Kind of hard to get to for removal.

If you swim triple drop this could be really bad. Fuck you for whoever lost their rope and didn't get it out or at least post here about it also. I'll post photos of where the rope is tonight when I get home.

streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully it can be removed soon. The AHRA should be notified, and they should probably handle the removal at this point.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014   #3
swimming

rope bag is kind of hard to see but if you look close it's there. Probably going to be pretty difficult to remove. Emailed AHRA also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014   #4
swimming

another shot highlighting bag
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	highlighted.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	8677  
Old 07-11-2014   #5

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdoctor View Post
Fuck you for whoever lost their rope and didn't get it out or at least post here about it also..

I'm hoping this rope wasn't related to the loss of one of our good friends today on Pine Creek. I was not there but have been given a few descriptions of the incident from my paddling group. He had a wife and two young children and will be missed greatly.

But don't worry, you've already clarified you know this group was irresponsible enough to not retrieve their rope. What could possibly be more important than a piece of gear?

And yes, it is a hazard right now that could serious injury another person but I'm guessing AHRA will take care of it very soon. Let's all take a deep breath and understand ropes sometimes happen to be left deployed.

Good day ...

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 07-12-2014   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I'm hoping this rope wasn't related to the loss of one of our good friends today on Pine Creek. I was not there but have been given a few descriptions of the incident from my paddling group. He had a wife and two young children and will be missed greatly.

But don't worry, you've already clarified you know this group was irresponsible enough to not retrieve their rope. What could possibly be more important than a piece of gear?

And yes, it is a hazard right now that could serious injury another person but I'm guessing AHRA will take care of it very soon. Let's all take a deep breath and understand ropes sometimes happen to be left deployed.

Good day ...

That's pretty doubtful considering the accident happened the day after he reported seeing the rope.....based on the location of the accident I wouldn't rule out that the rope was not involved...at least until the authorities release more details.

Don't beat Nick up over it. He's trying to inform the community more as a public safety message....and by the way I'm pretty pissed about all the lost ropes this year myself. Personally removed 2 from the river above BV.

My condolences to the friends and family of the boating community member lost, and especially to his children.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014   #7
swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

Good day ...

I'm really sorry about your friend. I didn't hear details of the incident but this was seen in the water two days ago. A rope in the water needs to be reported as it can be a killer also. Hopefully it wasn't a contributor.

I have not heard back from AHRA either, surprising.
Old 07-12-2014   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
When a car accident occurs and something tragic happens rescue squads pull out all the stops to save the individual but afterward they cleanup. Pointing out that a rope in the river is bad has nothing to with any loss that occurred. You clean up so another accident isnt caused by the debris.
Old 07-12-2014   #9

Salida, Colorado
Rope Recovered

AHRA River Rangers recovered this rope at 10:30am on Friday July 11th. It played no role in this accident.
AHRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014   #10

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHRA View Post
AHRA River Rangers recovered this rope at 10:30am on Friday July 11th. It played no role in this accident.
Thank you...
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote