Rec.gov SHUTDOWN - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-19-2018   #1

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1994
Rec.gov SHUTDOWN

HUGE groan. I got my permit application in (whether I get to see it drawn or not, we'll see) and was working on my wife's when the website shutdown. Holy crap!
Here's the screenshot:
Click image for larger version

Name:	rec.gov.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	24746

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2018   #2

Granby, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Yep. Happened to me right 0010 EST. Looking at a campground and then whamo, good thing I put in for my permits yesterday.
Spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018   #3

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
I'm waiting to 8am to find out if my CG reservations are going to be honored or I'm out in the cold (so to speak) for my 11 days I have reserved and paid for in the Everglades. This is the second time I've been shut out of the Parks. Although it sounds like I won't get charged with felony hiking or paddling if we go in..... maybe.
yak1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2018   #4

Front Range, Colorado
Groan

Our elected officials hard at work...
iSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018   #5
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Fuckem! Time to poach.
Old 01-20-2018   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Interesting, since rec.gov it's a private business
Infidien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidien View Post
Interesting, since rec.gov it's a private business
Over my career I've done a mix of private and government contract work cleaning up toxic waste sites.

Basically once the shutdown begins most government contractors are told not to expend any funds (do any work). So in the weeks prior, there's lots of uncertainty and stress, and lots of extra effort spent in the process of mothballing projects. With complex projects this can be a significant effort with flying people back home from remote field projects, making arrangements to store equipment, and so forth. And you have no certainty when the project can start back up.

Then the contractors have to sit idle during the shutdown and start back up once a funding measure gets passed. This all adds a lot of costs to projects due to lost productivity, attrition by gvt. and contractor employees and subsequent loss of institutional knowledge, and also places a heavy burden on the contractors serving the government.

Lots of projects are just cancelled in the shell game to fund inefficiency due to the shutdown and through the compromise process to get the government running again. This happened to my grad school research funding in 1996 when the government shutdown happened and I had to find a new project and funding source to continue.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018   #8

Hi Andy,

And if this runs true to past practice, all the "unessential" Federal employees who are not working will get paid anyway.

A further inefficiency, as this basically constitues a paid vacation for them.

Grrrr.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi Andy,

And if this runs true to past practice, all the "unessential" Federal employees who are not working will get paid anyway.

A further inefficiency, as this basically constitues a paid vacation for them.

Grrrr.

Rich Phillips
Rich, I beg to differ with the "paid vacation" characterization.

Unfortunately for many, they don't know that for certain, only that back-payment is in the hands of a congress and administration that's shown little but deep-seated contempt toward public servants, and I expect it's a pretty stressful period. I doubt they're booking trips to Disneyland and they've still got their bills to pay but the check in the pipeline may be the last for awhile.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018   #10

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I'm thinking the Rec. gov. will be up and running long before the permit season starts and if not before Jan 31st they will extend the application time. So I'm not too worried about the rafting season. If they are not up by March 20th I may have to slip onto a river without proper documentation in my pocket.