Rafter dead Saturday at Grizzly Creek - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-08-2015   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Rafter dead Saturday at Grizzly Creek

They have not released the name yet but I would guess it has to be private due to the forest service stopping commercials after 6000cfs.

Sorry for their loss but always want to learn from these to avoid this possibility on my boat. Just want to figure out the problem other than crazy high water that is damn near freezing.

Life Jackets? Reason for spill? Flip or ejection? Local boater with experience or tourists with a death wish? Intoxication?

Chttp://www.postindependent.com/news/16689846-113/rafter-dies-on-colorado-river-near-grizzly-creek

condolences to the family...

hkbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
aw geez what a bummer.

Never been on this section. What is it like at 11k?
Haggardphunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
fast and pushy

I have to assume from the article that it was of course on Shoshone. The forest service closes it for commercial companies after 6000cfs due to the risk of flipping and obviously drownings. I have not run my raft throught at this level but have kayaked it at many levels and it can far exceed what most people consider class III as it is listed.

There was some footage last year at similar levels with a dory that broke and oar and flipped in the next wave that might give you some insight.
hkbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015   #4

shoshone at these levels is still class III. it is big, it is intimidating, but there are no obstacles to maneuver, little if any technical nature to it. keep it pointed down river and everything should be just fine.

i see few people running it at these levels. BUT, i have seen very unprepared people. no wetsuits, pounding beers before getting on the water, out of shape large people, etc...

a swim their will not be fun, but everything flushes
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #5

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
I respectfully disagree, Shosho at 6k cfs is definitely NOT class III and you can definitely be eaten by a fair number of holes if you just point it down river.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #6
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've stood a 14' paddle boat on end @ 9'000 c.cf.s., think the waves were about the size of the boat. Very fast, with potential for long swim. Still some big holes at that level.
My condolences to the victims loved ones.
Old 06-08-2015   #7
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
I respectfully disagree, Shosho at 6k cfs is definitely NOT class III and you can definitely be eaten by a fair number of holes if you just point it down river.
Shoshone is way different @ 6000 than at 11000, it is one big long rapid , I have had more trouble at the 5 - 6000 range than at 12000. But at every level you need to be on your toes and be dressed to swim
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #8
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Link

Here's the link. Seems like a simple fall into the river flush drowning with heart attack. Could happen to anyone.

Coroner IDs rafter who drowned near Glenwood Springs
Old 06-08-2015   #9

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Rafter who drowned was an Illinois man | PostIndependent.com
daairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015   #10

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Condolences for sure. I would hope it wasn't somewhere after Grizzly Creek. I can't think of any major obstacles on that section at least until after Confluence Park where the play waves may factor in.