Poudre Wood Update: 5/10/17 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-11-2017   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Poudre Wood Update: 5/10/17

I rowed Stevens Down yesterday, May 10th, it was just shy of 3ft. There is some wood to note.

A couple hundred yards downstream of the Mish is a down tree river left crossing halfway. It is obvious and easily avoidable.

About a quarter mile upriver of Poudre Park Picnic Area there is a down tree in the right channel on river left. It is not a hazard now but with a bit more water it could become a channel wide strainer.

**Just about Bridges Put In in that last rapid there is a log a little left of center between two rocks maybe five feet wide that is NOT obvious until you get close. It seems wedged in there pretty well and at current levels could very well pin a hard boat and it has a few small branches pointing directly upstream that might be able to puncture rubber. It is probably visible from BPI.**

It also seems to me that between the tunnel and sonic boom the left channel has more water going through it than last season.

I'm sitting in my shared office and something has been smelling rancid. Turns out stepped in dog shit.

almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2017   #2
boof splash

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Also, just a head's up:

I hiked up the big south from the campground to slideways a couple weeks ago- there are several old growth trees across the entire river. Much of this is considered the "hike out" before The Rush, but there was a substantial tree in the river just below slideways as well. You could probably still run the rapid, but you better not miss the eddy.

I don't know the status on the rest of the run, obviously (still quite a bit of snow up there). I hope this report isn't indicative of what's upstream, but if you go in from the source make sure you bring your chainsaw.
kuuskv is offline   Reply With Quote