Possible drowning at Glenwood Whitewater Park - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-07-2013   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Possible drowning at Glenwood Whitewater Park

I was informed by Glenwood Whitewater Park regulars Marty and Marianne that an inflatable kayaker was caught in the river left side of the feature last night around 7pm. Apparently she clung to the over turned IK for a good 5-8 minutes while it recirculated in the hole before loosing consciousness and flushing downstream. CPR was performed by other river users on scene prior to 911 arrival. She was unresponsive and unconscious when evacuated by medical personnel.

Over the last week a number of people and craft have been caught in the river left side of the feature. This is likely due to slight changes to the feature this winter as crews were altering the river bank to better stabilize the riverside rock walls.

Please post additional information here. I'd like to get a good comment stream together to begin assessing whether a citizens group needs to ask the City to have the wave reworked on that side. Let's hope changing river flows will render such a conversation unnecessary but until then please stick to the river right boat chute wave and hope for a recovery from last night's victim.

eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013   #2

Paddling Since: 1999
glenwood wave

Sad news. I heard the rumor as well. Despite the signs telling you to go river left - I saw a number of folks going off that side. The hole super dangerous right now at this level.
jmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013   #3

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
she lives!

I was part of the rescue team the other day at the near drowning accident. just a update on the lady's status for the others that were there too...she lives! we called the hospital yesterday and got news that the victim was being released from the hospital. It was a scary incident indeed....her PFD was not fitted properly, she seemed to have zero river knowledge, and was in full panic mode after falling out. people that use the river, even those on a class II float need to get some kind of knowledge of what the dangers are. also, I think a new sign (a bigger/more noticable one) should be put up because the ones in place are not doing the job.
tjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013   #4

BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I was there for the first rescue on saturday and helped with 2 more yesterday. I was planning on making a call to the city today to put up some sort of sign. Its getting ridiculous.
tskoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013   #5

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
We are going over to Glenwood for a couple days next week to check out hot springs hang out boat/bike a little.
Where is the Glenwood Whitewater Park? And from the above posts I can't tell which way to go when you get there, river left or river right? Thank you very much.
Old 07-08-2013   #6

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
The cynic in me says that no matter the size of the sign

some tourists are going to make the stop at walmart and go jump in the river.

I'm sorry you have been sucked into this. Thanks for helping them.
Old 07-08-2013   #7

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Every day I have been there the last week people have gotten stuck. I was part of the first group when we got the lady and was with Ty yesterday when we had to rope two rafts out of the hole. I would say it defiantly needs to get worked on because I don't really want to have to bring a throw bag to the play park.
Peelsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013   #8

Paddling Since: 2004
Good work to those involved in the rescues!

I agree that additional signage seems futile. I would vote for a slight rework of the river left bank. I am going to mention this to the Glenwood Wave Events Committee, of which I am a junior member, and see if they want to proceed to the City Council on the matter.

One reason for this, the work done this winter was likely bonded and can likely therefore be performed for free or near to it and we may be able to improve the feature's low water performance while we are at it. I know altering an already successful feature is always a touchy issue, so please comment here with your opinion.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013   #9
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peelsauce View Post
I don't really want to have to bring a throw bag to the play park.
Throw bag should always be in the boat. Always.
Old 07-08-2013   #10

Vail, Colorado
It is ALWAYS in my nomad haha not in any of the play boats I use after work. But I think some reworking would be good, at low levels the only side that is decent is the river right side anyways and even that could use some work.
Peelsauce is offline   Reply With Quote