Pay to play in Colorado - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-26-2018   #1

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Pay to play in Colorado

So I recently heard from a pretty informed source that Colorado is considering implementing a "pay to play" fee structure that could affect nearly every outdoor rec sport in Colorado. It would include mountain biking, kayaking, rafting, climbing, etc and might be set up like fishing licenses where you pay to access any lands that aren't BLM. So Clear Creek, Arkansas, Colorado, and many other rivers might be affected.

Does anyone else know about this already? What are your thoughts and opinions?

Anyone live in a state where this is already the case...Wyoming seemed to kind of have this in place with the boating stickers/invasive species?

Thanks!

chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2018   #2
td

Depending on how it's implemented, it could be a good thing. Currently hunters and fishermen provide a huge chunk of the funding for conservation in this country through license sales and a tax (I think it's 10-11%) on hunting and fishing supplies. Aside from the question of whether or not it's fair that two user groups provide a majority of funding that benefits all other outdoor recreation users, having the other user groups start providing funding as well would provide two major benefits:
1- A larger seat at the funding table- a pretty good percentage of current funding goes to fish and game conservation (seems fair since those are the users kicking in the most money at this point), with funding from more diverse sources more money would go towards other priorities
2- More clout at the decision/political table when how public land should be managed comes up- money=power in this country and a little more power in the hands of people that love the outdoors wouldn't be a bad thing

With the ever growing user base someone's going to have to pay for the management of our public lands. If it's the recreational users themselves, it could end up being beneficial.
td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018   #3

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
That's a great outlook on it. Part of me worries that like a lot of things in Colorado, our outdoor recreation is in danger of becoming a luxury that only the wealthy can afford. This leads into all sorts of class/racial issues which I have concerns about as well, but I'll leave that aside for another discussion.

When I'm boating or biking, I definitely see the need for improvements. Trail restoration, parking, and cleanups can overwhelm volunteer groups that really aren't able to accomplish all this work with the limited resources they have. These needs stress already underfunded government organizations and can result in less than ideal conditions due to erosion from parking on roads, poorly built trails and putins, and just the general wear and tear that happens to our rivers, trails, and climbing areas when thousands of people use these resources each year.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm interested to see where this leads.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2018   #4

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
what was your source?
John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018   #5

flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1995
look at OHV fees! I pay 25 bucks a year to ride/race my dirt bike in CO. I would like to think these funds go to trail preservation/construction
shoptech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have not heard any talk about this recently, but I can inquire with the AHRA. The most recent article I can find online about it is from 2016:

https://www.denverpost.com/2016/11/1...-service-land/

I'm also curious where you heard this from? If it is from a legitimate source I may send an email over to Luis Benitez (director of Colorado's office of outdoor recreation) asking for more information....
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Most places are already pay to play if you choose certain sports, follow the rules and don't cheap out/ circumvent. Everything I do is pay to play. The state parks pass to use the put ins and takeouts on the Ark. Some don't pay by using the put ins and then parking on the hwy or using stealth putins. There are only a few rivers where you don't have to pay to play. I spend hundred+ a year in permit applications alone, hundreds more when I get them.
Anyone that uses a motor for anything also has to pay to play. I buy the $30 motor reg almost every year to use the motor on my raft for one Cat trip a year.

I pay the above mentioned hunting and fishing fees. At least $60 a year to fish and apply for big game tags and sometimes hundreds when I actually get them. Most people that buy a fishing license fish a handfull of days a year. The state success rate for hunters is about 10% so 90% of all that hunting money is for people to pay to take the gun or bow for a walk on public land that other people hike and bike on the rest of the year for free. If you are figuring out how not to pay to play, you're welcome.

What are the new pay to play rules you are talking about? Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing road bikers pay some sort of a road tax fee or have to license their bikes like a car if its on the road and I'm gonna share it. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the other sports that skate on fees only to use services/facilities provided by the fees/permits/taxes that I pay have to ante up a few bucks. I just hope if new fees are imposed it is directed at groups that aren't paying their share and that the money ends up in the right places.

Im not big on fees but in most cases I'm not to pissy about paying them because I like what the fees provide. Concrete ramps that I can back a trailer down are real nice and they aren't cheap. I like that there is someone out there speaking for the animals and trying to prevent udder stupidity in the woods during hunting season. Volunteers can only do so much to keep the place up when idiots abound, ante up!!
Old 07-27-2018   #8

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing road bikers pay some sort of a road tax fee or have to license their bikes like a car if its on the road and I'm gonna share it.

They already do pay, when they license/register their cars, pay gas taxes, etc...

It's high time we implemented pay to play for trails in Colorado. This state is so crowded with trail users, the trails are underfunded, and as such they're getting beat to death.
Old 07-28-2018   #9

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Pay to play in Colorado

[QUOTE=mikesee;705551]They already do pay, when they license/register their cars, pay gas taxes, etc...
Miksee I feel logic this is flawed.....

I don't feel that should exempt them from paying to use their bicycles on the road. Motorcyclists which I'm sure also use a car/truck register both vehicles and pay tax on the gas that goes in said vehicles. I register my truck, that doesn't mean I don't have to register my trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
You don't have to register your (single axle) trailer in Newtah...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote