Packtaft Low Water Yampa? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-03-2018   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1986
Packtaft Low Water Yampa?

Hi, we are considering a short low water (duh) Yampa trip this month. We are looking at hiking in a Harding Hole (Bull Canyon) and then floating to Echo Park. This assumes we can get permits. Any hints? Warnings? Advice?
Thanks for the info, Linda

LJalbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2018   #2

steamboat springs, Colorado
Might want to call the river office before you get too far into the planning stage...
3d3vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018   #3

StGeorge, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
Following
Dustin Judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2018   #4

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalbs View Post
Hi, we are considering a short low water (duh) Yampa trip this month. We are looking at hiking in a Harding Hole (Bull Canyon) and then floating to Echo Park. This assumes we can get permits. Any hints? Warnings? Advice?
Thanks for the info, Linda
We have contacted the river office, but are also looking for some user knowledge on the viability of such a trip. thanks
LJalbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018   #5

steamboat springs, Colorado
Linda - Bull to Echo is more than viable...i's an obvious trip and would be a great packraft run. The trick is the permission. The River Office has slowly been coming around to new thinking about shorter runs (i.e. not Deerlodge to Split), but there is still some work to do. There are many such options in Dinosaur for those willing to work for it, especially in low-use season. Please let us know what you hear back from the River Office. Either way, patience and politeness are key at this stage, as we are seeing movement in the thinking on packrafts in the Monument and don't want to jeopardize anything by getting greedy... Thx.
3d3vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
We did Deerlodge to Split last year at very low water in hardshells. I think it was about 350. Lots of rocks, but didn't drag more than a couple of times. We had days when making miles was tough, especially with the W***.
Do the whole run if you can, or takeout at Echo, but then you miss out on Spilt. Use a proper toilet system.
Old 07-09-2018   #7

I just got off the Yampa, and I can tell you with 100% accuracy that it is low. Above Harding Hole, my partner and I spent a lot of time bumping into rocks and walking the boats. Below Harding there were a lot fewer rocks, but still quite a bit of walking.

Also, unless we were going down a significant gradient drop then there was zero current. If there was any wind, we made backward progress unless constantly paddling.

I for one would not put back onto the Yampa this year unless someone was paying me to do it and I was borrowing a boat. The flows are now sub 200 and appear to be dropping quickly, so if you're going to go, I would go now.
Fitztom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitztom View Post
I just got off the Yampa, and I can tell you with 100% accuracy that it is low. Above Harding Hole, my partner and I spent a lot of time bumping into rocks and walking the boats. Below Harding there were a lot fewer rocks, but still quite a bit of walking.

Also, unless we were going down a significant gradient drop then there was zero current. If there was any wind, we made backward progress unless constantly paddling.

I for one would not put back onto the Yampa this year unless someone was paying me to do it and I was borrowing a boat. The flows are now sub 200 and appear to be dropping quickly, so if you're going to go, I would go now.

Thanks for the report. What kind of boats were you in, and how many days did it take?
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018   #9

We were in packrafts, and we did Deerlodge to Split mountain in five days. It was an amazing trip, but I would probably hold off on doing it again unless the flows were 300+, or I when I get desperate for another permit.
Fitztom is offline   Reply With Quote