Mud Slides in Idaho on the Payettes and MF - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-06-2013   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
Mud Slides in Idaho on the Payettes and MF

They are currently not allowing launches on the MF
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/scnf/recreation/wateractivities/?cid=stelprdb5302105

Highway 55 if closed at Otterslide rapid 3 miles above banks. The Banks-Lowman road is also closed at Staircase rapid 3 miles east of Banks.

Apparently there is wood in staircase, false slalom and slalom on the SF Payette.

Lots of wood in Otter Slide on the NF Payette. Might be some in Juicer and Crunch and every in between. I don't believe anything above Otters has been affected.

Scout everything if you are up there.

Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
It's all Obamas fault.

Oops I guess not.

It's open through Sheepeater on the MF now.
Updated:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/scnf/r...telprdb5302105

Power is out in North Fork, Salmon and Challis. At least in many areas.

And the Payette is a mess. Good lord. Really though with the storms we have had this week I don't know how some of this couldn't have happened.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroberts View Post
They are currently not allowing launches on the MF
....from Boundary Creek only though. according to the alerts on the web page anyway. it sounds like indian creek and below is still open for launches.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013   #4
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by upshitscreek View Post
....from Boundary Creek only though. according to the alerts on the web page anyway. it sounds like indian creek and below is still open for launches.
refresh the page - they are allowing launches from Boundary as of a few minutes ago.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroberts View Post
Highway 55 if closed at Otterslide rapid 3 miles above banks. The Banks-Lowman road is also closed at Staircase rapid 3 miles east of Banks.

Apparently there is wood in staircase, false slalom and slalom on the SF Payette.

Lots of wood in Otter Slide on the NF Payette. Might be some in Juicer and Crunch and every in between. I don't believe anything above Otters has been affected.

Scout everything if you are up there.
Good lord we just missed all that by a few days! Wonderful time on the Payettes this past weekend, although a WEAK showing by Colorado catboaters this year......Rich.....

I did very little North Forking as I am on the injured reserve, although I had a wonderful time as a passenger down the Lower 5. What a hoot! We even caught a bunch of surfs. It's nice to have awesome friends who are rockstar boaters and will haul gear to Banks at the last minute.
Old 09-06-2013   #6

Boise, Idaho
A group of us were up there and witnessed the slide at Otters. We were setting up shuttle for a L5. We drove by the slide area before it slide, dropped 2 car at banks, drove back up and it was full on. What an amazing natural feature. A river of mud full of logs dumping on the 55, crossing the bridge and dumping into the river.

The good news was we had all 3 cars below the slide but the bad news is we have all our gear/boats and 3 buddies at Hounds. After walking the railroad tracks, swimming across the river and hitching to Hounds we were able to paddle the warm up and take out above otters to where we left one vehicle.

Should be interesting to see how the rivers change.
Old 09-06-2013   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Wow, that is awesome that you got to see it. Except for the hassle. Any photos? I didn't see any fire scars in those areas, were there fires recently and I am just blind or couldn't see them? Or did they just blow out from further away?
Old 09-06-2013   #8

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2010
Pics from the south fork last night. The bigger slide is just at the top of staircase. The smaller one is about 3/4 of a mile up from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4266824001.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	545.3 KB
ID:	7013   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2570525292.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	537.1 KB
ID:	7014  

Name:	image-2642644362.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	644.7 KB
ID:	7015   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3067199807.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	675.9 KB
ID:	7016  

Name:	image-1933365575.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	586.1 KB
ID:	7017  
KiltedKayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #9

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
It's all Obamas fault.

Oops I guess not.

It's open through Sheepeater on the MF now.
Updated:

Salmon-Challis National Forest - Water Activities

Power is out in North Fork, Salmon and Challis. At least in many areas.

And the Payette is a mess..
From that website it sounds like the end days up there.....mudslides, rabid bats, yellow jackets, bears and norovirus .... oh my.

A sixpack for anyone who paints "Four Horseman" on the side of their raft.

Will be interesting to see how the Main was affected with the hints listed on the website.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #10

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Wow, that is awesome that you got to see it. Except for the hassle. Any photos? I didn't see any fire scars in those areas, were there fires recently and I am just blind or couldn't see them? Or did they just blow out from further away?
I didn't have a camera but I really wish I did. I need to get a waterproof camera. We were all joking how every trip someone has a go pro but out of the 7 of us on this trip no one had one. Good thing the bridge didn't collapse. I thought it might as it was guard rail to guardrail road wide full of sludge.

Last year the skinny dipper fire burned that area. I'm guessing that was the main contributor to the slide.

I'm looking forward to see what it looks like tomorrow, I'll bring a camera and take some pics. Hopefully they have the road open.