Middle Fork Rules - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2018   #1
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2
Middle Fork Rules

Does anyone know whether there are rules on the middle fork about splitting groups? I recently saw this article in current issue of Outside Magazine in which “Far and Away Adventures” boasts that they routinely send their sweep/gear boat ahead to snag a campsite, set up the tents, start dinner and “happy hour is well under way”.

On some rivers, this behaviour is prohibited. Is this standard commercial behaviour?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0F606113-0964-43FC-B941-70DBBEC72382.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	31345  

Aeb501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-18-2018   #2
 
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 134
I am not a MFS expert by any means but the sweep boats travel a lot faster than your average raft. Good luck keeping up with them!


All camp sites are assigned/reserved with the rangers so they are not going ahead to "snag" a camp. It is standard to see them out ahead of the rest of their group.
unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #3
Shapp
 
the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeb501 View Post
Does anyone know whether there are rules on the middle fork about splitting groups? I recently saw this article in current issue of Outside Magazine in which “Far and Away Adventures” boasts that they routinely send their sweep/gear boat ahead to snag a campsite, set up the tents, start dinner and “happy hour is well under way”.

On some rivers, this behaviour is prohibited. Is this standard commercial behaviour?
It is apparent you signed up for Mt Buzz without googling your question in the slightest because you would realize that all the campsites are reserved for each night you are on the river. That doesn't take an expert to figure out. Just about anyone that has researched the MF will find out shortly about the campsite reservation system. Once you leave the ramp your camp sites are 100% locked and loaded. Pretty much all the outfitters on the MF Salmon send their gear boats and swampers ahead to get camp prepared for when the guests arrive.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-18-2018   #4
 
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 164
Actually, while this practice (I've heard it called "camp-running") is no longer advantageous on the Middle Fork due to the reservation system, it is still commonly practiced by commercial groups on runs like Hell's Canyon. I've talked to raft guides who will swear on a stack of bibles that their company doesn't do this, but don't be surprised when an empty gear boat (from the same company) shows up at your camp at 09:00 and waits until you leave so they can snag it. Granted, the last time I witnessed this personally was in 2015 (when it happened on two nights out of a three-night trip!), but I have no reason to think that anything has changed in the last few years.
landslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #5
 
bsimcoe's Avatar
 
Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1981
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19
That's because there is no reservation system on Hells Canyon, there is a limited reservation system on the Main Salmon. I know of no issues with people crashing or stealing camps on the Middle Fk. I am sure there is an off chance of an emergency or incident that has caused groups to get behind schedule but usually just for a night.
bsimcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #6
 
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 164
Yes, I'm well aware of which rivers have campsite reservation systems and which don't. When the Middle Fork switched to their reservation system, I had my reservations (pun intended, sorry), but I have found that it works very, very well. It is SO NICE to take a lazy morning in camp or really take your time and enjoy the stops along the way downriver when you know where you will be camping that night. It works great for me, anyway.

As for the Main's system, I am not so keen about it since I am almost always in a small group and larger groups invariably bump me out of any reservable camp I might request from the rangers. OTOH, I have found that it's much more fun to just play it by ear and go without any reserved camps. There are many nice non-reservable camps to choose from, including some big camps and camps with good shade.

I've never run the Selway, but with only one launch per day during the control season, I can't imagine there is much need for camp-running. Plus, the rapids are harder, which tends to make groups stick together for safety. Which takes us back to Hell's Canyon, where camp-running was, based on my limited experience, pretty damn common. I'd love to hear if folks are still seeing commercials do it a lot.
landslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #7
 
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 126
[QUOTE=landslide;704601] It is SO NICE to take a lazy morning in camp or really take your time and enjoy the stops along the way downriver when you know where you will be camping that night. It works great for me, anyway.

/QUOTE]

That does sound nice, no stressing about what campsite you may have to take.
daairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018   #8
 
bighorn1478@msn.com's Avatar
 
lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,047
Yes the commercials send a sweeper on hells canyon, but the real problem is the power boaters that take every sandy/swim beach camp site for a week. I never have a problem with the commercials by just being a little flexible and negotiating at the launch.
__________________
Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life on or off the river.
bighorn1478@msn.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018   #9
 
MT4Runner's Avatar
 
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by landslide View Post
Yes, I'm well aware of which rivers have campsite reservation systems and which don't. When the Middle Fork switched to their reservation system, I had my reservations (pun intended, sorry), but I have found that it works very, very well. It is SO NICE to take a lazy morning in camp or really take your time and enjoy the stops along the way downriver when you know where you will be camping that night. It works great for me, anyway.

As for the Main's system, I am not so keen about it since I am almost always in a small group and larger groups invariably bump me out of any reservable camp I might request from the rangers. OTOH, I have found that it's much more fun to just play it by ear and go without any reserved camps. There are many nice non-reservable camps to choose from, including some big camps and camps with good shade.

Really great on the Middle to be able to plan a layover day or be able to have lazy mornings.



I enjoyed the mix of reserved/non-reservable campsites on the Main. Nice to have a few nights you know you will have a camp, and fun to take a mulligan a few nights and have a bit of unknown in your campsite selection--or maybe you want to make a longer day or a shorter day on the fly.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018   #10
 
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 164
Quote:
I enjoyed the mix of reserved/non-reservable campsites on the Main. Nice to have a few nights you know you will have a camp, and fun to take a mulligan a few nights and have a bit of unknown in your campsite selection--or maybe you want to make a longer day or a shorter day on the fly.

Yeah, and even though I didn't reserve a camp on the Main on either of my two trips down so far this year, it was still nice to know that big groups and commercials were most likely going to be staying at reserved camps. That makes it a little more predictable for those of us not using reserved camps.


I do wonder about one thing: Is there anything stopping a group (commercial or private) from reserving one camp and then grabbing a non-reservable camp instead? The reason I'm asking is because I tried to reserve Blackadar for my first night, but got bumped out by a commercial group. Then the commercial group never even showed up and the camp sat empty that night. Pissed me off a bit, but maybe they had a legit reason for the no-show.
landslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Posting Pics (totally subjective gallery rules) RiverWrangler Whitewater Kayaking 100 06-11-2013 05:45 PM
Bush Rules! cemartin Whitewater Kayaking 16 11-22-2005 01:40 AM
I have a Vision, A 56 to be exact and the Fork Rules. peterB Whitewater Kayaking 3 03-06-2005 02:45 PM
FIBArk -- Game On! This place RULES!!! Ken Vanatta Whitewater Kayaking 6 06-23-2004 05:22 PM
New Boater - River Rules LongStickMiddie Kayaking | Gear Talk 3 05-03-2004 03:23 PM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.