zcollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2020   #2
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
So sad.

Makes me feel less shitty for losing the lottery and SUPER SHITTY for everyone who has a sidelined trip. I'd give up my lottery for 2021 for anyone displaced by 2020. Can I do that?
Old 03-27-2020   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Well... the MFS doesn't even become accesible till mid-may...so the current closure shouldn't effect anyone with a normal season permit date.

If this order gets extended into the normal permit season I'll be bummed out for sure. Hoping we are more back to normal life by June.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2020   #4

Garden Valley, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
No trips until at least July 1

The main and middle fork are closed until at least July 1.
https://idahonews.com/news/local/pay...l-river-access
keithh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithh2o View Post
So it is very clear that the water boundaries within the lower S. Fork are closed, but it doesn't seem clear that the Middle and Main are closed through the end of June also. Actually, the article states:

"Further, adjacent National Forests have issued temporary closures on the Main Salmon River and Middle Fork Salmon River to float boat uses. This closure order aligns the Payette National Forest with our neighboring Forestsí closures to surrounding waterways.".

Talks to the "issued temporary closure" which is currently through April 30th.

Other's interpretation?
markfortcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020   #6

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
SF Salmon closed to June 30. Main and MFS until April 30. It wouldn’t be surprising to see that extended but there is nothing in writing yet. Still don’t understand why people often post what might happen as what is happening. It’s easy to add “I’m betting this will go longer” so people know it’s one’s opinion as there is not a closure yet. Also nice to see an official source sited when there is a closure.

As of today, 4/30 is still the Salmon Challis closure date.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd717073.pdf

Actual SF Salmon closure. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd717073.pdf

Closure ends at confluence with Main.
Conundrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020   #7

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithh2o View Post
The Middle Fork and Main Salmon are not in the Payette National Forest so this closure does not apply.

There are many National Forest closures happening right now. A forest that closes until July 1 (for example) can open up earlier when they think it's appropriate.
zcollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020   #8

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Given the situation in Blaine county, Idaho I can tell you that the residents of the small mountain/river towns are very nervous and will be pushing hard to keep places closed for a while. The Payette RD has been closing trailheads like crazy to encourage people to stay home, the mountain communities are increasingly hostile to out of area license plates. I would be surprised to see the current river closures lifted by their current end date. Also I was just looking at the projected peak of COVID infections etc and at present it has Idaho expected to peak late April BUT we are really early on the curve so not a lot of data to go on.

Yes, as someone on the "irresponsible" thread said, this shit is real. My husband works ICU in Central WA, small town hospitals that would consider 3 vent patients at one time to be busy are up at 14 already. We have to do everything we can to save our health care system from being overwhelmed, traveling to the river may just be out this year (We are almost certain to lose our small group dream trip GC)
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020   #9

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
Idaho is shutting shit down like watergate until July like it or not. It will just take time to have all the right people make the calls. Stay the F home!

PS: This has happened before due to fires and the permit holders will get first shot at next year same dates!
Old 04-06-2020   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Well... the MFS doesn't even become accesible till mid-may...so the current closure shouldn't effect anyone with a normal season permit date.

If this order gets extended into the normal permit season I'll be bummed out for sure. Hoping we are more back to normal life by June.
I'm betting 4/30 gets moved to 5/31 pretty soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfortcollins View Post
So it is very clear that the water boundaries within the lower S. Fork are closed, but it doesn't seem clear that the Middle and Main are closed through the end of June also. Actually, the article states:
MF/Main closures name campgrounds and launch facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshutt View Post
I would be surprised to see the current river closures lifted by their current end date. Also I was just looking at the projected peak of COVID infections etc and at present it has Idaho expected to peak late April BUT we are really early on the curve so not a lot of data to go on.
Agreed. I also see it extending.

Sucks to miss out on a 5/24 MF launch when snowpack looks low enough that this date will likely have the road to Boundary open, but I also understand the dire medical situation unfolding.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote