Large strainer on Dolores river - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-30-2017   #1

Large strainer on Dolores river

Hey guys just giving a little TR,
On the right side of the wall rapid on the upper Dolores there was a huge ponderosa in the rapid , making a for a dangerous strainer. So if you have swimmers in snaggle or the island get em quick, hope the pulse this week pushes it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

mrbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2017   #2

Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1983
Thanks for the warning mrbaum. When they crank it to 4K next week a lot of wood will suddenly appear. When I ran it at 5500 cfs in 2005 I will always remember the moment when a 50' ponderosa rolled into the river right in front of our group. We played dodge ball with it for over two miles all while it crashed and broke into smaller obstacles. Caused some consternation for the rafters as they danced with the leviathan (my term).

Be careful folks and have fun!
kayakingphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Does upper Dolores mean above McPhee Dam/Reservoir?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2017   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
It means the Snaggletooth section below the dam.

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017   #5

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I bet I saw that same tree way upstream a couple of weeks ago but it has moved a long ways. Be aware, as the water comes up this week there is bound to be a bunch of wood in the rio. Be safe out there. JT
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017   #6

Cortez, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
The locals generally think of the section above McPhee as the "upper" and below as the "lower" - but lots of folks from out of the area have different reference points, such as the confluence (with the San Miguel) or Slickrock - so, it's good to clarify by placenames, like the "Wall" and "Snaggle(tooth)"(which the poster did).

Thanks for the info!
grumper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017   #7

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Grumper, You getting all those oars in Dolores? I'd really like that 87" cataract for my spare. You were there first so its all good. Putting on monday the 8th for the whole thing and would love a 3rd boat if you know anyone thats up for it. JT
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017   #8

Cortez, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Ugh - I'm just coming back from out of town on the 8th and will just be doing day/overnight runs for a bit. My big window is going to be from about 5/25-6/5. I have gotten 7 days, so far, and should double that. And yeah, that oar is going gonna be my spare, so I can retire my Carlisle spare. I will check with a few locals to see who might be able to launch on the 8th with you. The problem is, most of them work regular jobs...
The whole enchilada - yeah!
grumper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks wildh2onriver and grumper13 for the clarification, and mrbaum for the original post. I had always heard the Upper Dolores as being above McPhee and was a bit confused. After looking at the guide book apparently The Wall rapid is also known as Cannonball and comes about half a mile after Snaggletooth (mile 27.5 in The Dolores River Guide).

mrbaum do you think this is worth scouting?

We are launching on Wednesday running from Bradfield to Bedrock taking out either Sat afternoon or Sunday morning. If there is significant wood I'll post updates here, although things probably won't settle until after we're off the river.
Old 05-01-2017   #10
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaum View Post
Hey guys just giving a little TR,
On the right side of the wall rapid on the upper Dolores there was a huge ponderosa in the rapid , making a for a dangerous strainer. So if you have swimmers in snaggle or the island get em quick, hope the pulse this week pushes it out.

We ran Snaggle on Saturday and didn't see the ponderosa...so it's either gone or we somehow missed seeing it (yikes!).
Liquido is online now   Reply With Quote