Klamath River Dam Removal - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-16-2016   #1

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Klamath River Dam Removal

Here is a teaser in case you don't want to open the link...

Say Hello to the (New) Biggest Dam Removal in U.S. History

233 miles of the Klamath River will run free for the first time in more than a century—so why are some paddlers bummed?

The Klamath River is one of only three rivers to cut through the Cascade Mountains instead of rising from them. The river existed before the mountains, holding its ground for millennia as volcanic peaks thrust up around it and glaciers formed and receded. But in 1910, before boaters could explore or document it, the first of seven dams was built on the Upper Klamath, taming most of its turgid rapids into a series of stagnant, algae-choked reservoirs.
Today, besides a few grainy photos and notes from engineers, nobody knows what lies beneath those reservoirs. But boaters are about to find out. On February 2, California and Oregon struck a deal with energy giant PacifiCorp and the Department of the Interior to remove four deadbeat dams from the Klamath, starting in 2020. It’ll be the biggest dam removal in U.S. history, allowing 233 miles of river to flow freely for the first time in over a century.

adventure journal – Say Hello to the (New) Biggest Dam Removal in U.S. History

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2016   #2

Boise, Idaho
Wow. No idea this was going on. It will be really cool to watch this river evolve. I can't wait to try it.
BlueTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #3

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I like it.

Similar to Andy's re-post about a removal in Washington. I support this very much and think it is a good thing in the long run.
TennesseeMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2016   #4

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Awesome. Looks like I will work on planning a kalamath trip around 2030, give er some time for the sediment to erode and vegetation take hold and rebar to be found by somebody else. This is good news. I hope these dam removal projects spread. Focus energy on wind and solar.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #5
swimming

Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
Rebar is nothing compared to the rocks and big holes down there That's one river you don't play in the holes, it will probably be a nasty little IV-V monkey when it is set free
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016   #6

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
Has there been any talk of removing dams from the Snake near (or in) Hells Canyon? I read years ago that under those waters were rapids that were Grand Canyon type drops.
stewart242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016   #7

Grand Junction, Colorado via Oregon
Paddling Since: 1976
On one hand I am very pleased to see the dam removals happening, it will allow the Klamath river to run wild & free as it was meant to. On the other, I have commercially guided on this river(the Upper Klamath section above Copco Lake) since 1982 and have logged 1500+ runs on it, and it was nice to know that it would always be there every day consistently throughout the Summer season with a nice class 4-4+ run. The river will still be there but for all practical purposes I see the Upper Klamath section being done in April/May. Perhaps the removals will create new epic runs? I for one am looking forward to what happens!
Old 02-18-2016   #8

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman4utoday View Post
Perhaps the removals will create new epic runs? I for one am looking forward to what happens!
Quote from the linked article.

Quote:
Gradients in those 45 miles range from 16 feet per mile, a class II run, to more than 100 feet per mile—class IV or V terrain. The average comes out to 42 feet per mile.
100 feet per mile? There is probably something in there I'm thinking.
BlueTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016   #9

Grand Junction, Colorado via Oregon
Paddling Since: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
Quote from the linked article.

100 feet per mile? There is probably something in there I'm thinking.
Definitely 100+ ft/mile, this would be on what is referred to as the Upper Klamath section....or what locals call the Upper K or UK. Nothing sticky but the volcanic rocks which are abundant, and extremely consistent whitewater. My avatar photo is actually on this section....no raft showing! If you get the chance, do this run!
Old 04-08-2016   #10
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Shooter would hope this trend continues, right over to the Dolores, to McPhee. He would gladly push the button to destroy that monument to human stupid.
And have his rig ready to launch 100 yards below the damn ........... dam when it blew.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote