Kermit's Wood - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Kermit's Wood

There are a couple of new pieces of wood in Kermit's section of Clear Creek (Upper Clear Creek), as of last night. I don't know the name of the rapids, but I'll try my best in describing where they are. If others in the group see this, please correct, if necessary.

In the busy rapid ABOVE the 'terminator' hole section and adjacent to tunnel 6, there's a log on the left side of the large boulder at the entrance to the rapid. It's the center line that's commonly taken. We were able to go over the log at these levels, but when the water comes down it could be very dangerous.

Also, according to another member in our group, there's a large root ball on the river-right side of the 'terminator' hole. I didn't see it myself. It's better to go left, if you're inclined to skirt the hole.

H2Obug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks! I believe you are talking about Double Knife also sometimes called Cheesegrater,in the old days anyway.The raft cos.may have new names.It is by far the most serious drop of the run,bad place for wood.Maybe the raft companies will pull it out.( let's hope so.)
cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Denver, Colorado
If you search Double Knife Rapid images,there is a very short video of it at this level.You can't really tell what the rapid looks like with that camera angle,but it does appear to clean up with this flow....600/700 is semi manky....the raft ran left ,looks like they might have entered center though....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

The wood is BELOW double knife and hell's half mile, ABOVE the terminator section, adjacent to tunnel 6. The wood is NOT in double-knife (AKA cabbage-shredder).
H2Obug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Denver, Colorado
I don't want to compound any confusion but you said above the Terminator Hole Section originally.The Terminator Hole and Terminator Jr. are in the section that you apparently call Hells Half Mile ,about 1/4 +mile below Double Knife( you are right Cabbage Shredder not Cheesegrater).I used to boat with the guy ( and his guides)who started the original raft co. on Clear Creek and named a lot of the rapids.I can never keep the tunnel #'s straight.Double Knife is right by a Tunnel( Terminator is just above the downstream end).

Glad it is not at the top of Double Knife.