I'm glad we don't get charges filed for river collisions - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 11-24-2013   #1

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I'm glad we don't get charges filed for river collisions

Reading this story Snowboarder May Face Charges After Crashing Into Skier CBS Denver makes me glad that if we come down river into another boater and have a collision the police aren't investigating if charges need to be filed.

Do they sell skiing insurance to protect you from an incident?

Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2013   #2

Boise, Idahoer
Paddling Since: 2011
Sounds like the snowboarder is an asshole, and riding recklessly. Screw him. Maybe you wouldn't understand unless you have kids?
D-Sieve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #3

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
I saw 2 collisions at Keystone today. Snowboarders and skiers were flying through tight crowds out there. I was with my kids, 8 and 5 and I was scared for their safety. We retreated to the bar for cerzevas and hot chocolates. Be safe out there.
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2013   #4

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swank View Post
Reading this story Snowboarder May Face Charges After Crashing Into Skier CBS Denver makes me glad that if we come down river into another boater and have a collision the police aren't investigating if charges need to be filed.

Do they sell skiing insurance to protect you from an incident?
We don't seem to have a strong history of reckless endangerment of others in our sport.

As a ski instructor I wish they would investigate these accidents more often. Doesn't mean they need to charge folks more often but I do think there needs to be enough presence to ascertain levels negligence, i.e. disregard for the Responsibility Code posted at every american resort.

Seems to be getting worse with the increasing use of music devices and ear phones/buds. Hard to be situationally aware when one of your senses is completely oblivious to your surroundings. Most of us aren't going as fast as we think but often its more than fast enough to hurt or kill someone if we aren't paying attention.

We won't deal with these issues on the river until we see higher concentrations of users (maybe places like Brown's Canyon during peak) and/or more users who show no regard for fellow boatmen. Then again gravity and slippery surfaces may play a part in resort accidents as well

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Yeah, this time of year is by far the most dangerous up there. Packing all those people onto one or two runs is a great idea. There are definitely some tools out there, but I think the resorts share the blame as well. They open a high speed lift serving one open run knowing there will be line all day. But they don't have to worry since the law makes them immune to litigation. And they shouldn't be held liable for the inherent dangers of skiing, but they create the danger of the white ribbon of death. Maybe there should be capacity limits on trails like there are for other public places?
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #6
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Sieve View Post
Sounds like the snowboarder is an asshole, and riding recklessly. Screw him. Maybe you wouldn't understand unless you have kids?
All snowboarders are assholes. Especially at that age......
Except for me. I'm all right. But the rest of them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
Seems to be getting worse with the increasing use of music devices and ear phones/buds.
Don't blame the music. I ride all the time with music and I don't come close to anyone. A handful of my buddies do too and guess what - no collisions. I don't ride "with" anyone very often, but I maintain awareness and defer to those I am passing.

The whole fault with this lies with an entitled "I own the slopes" point of view. Particularly prevalent among males of this age on skis or board.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #7

Boise, Idahoer
Paddling Since: 2011
[QUOTE=carvedog;341055]All snowboarders are assholes. Especially at that age......
Except for me. I'm all right. But the rest of them...

I'm a snowboarder.
Ummm, at least I was until I tried kayaking...

Always made me nervous having my kids on the slopes though.
D-Sieve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Blame the music... blame the "lifestyle choice"... blame everything save for the community who silently watches and tacitly condones reckless behavior. A major difference in kayaking is that I've been told flat out, by my betters, when I was being reckless. It seems the community accountability on the slopes does not impact behavior in the same way. Could be the presence of the patrol changes the community dynamic sufficiently to make people feel free from the burden of confronting bad behavior. On the same token, the resorts create a kind of melting-pot approach that there are no places for people to really ski fast. We have terrain parks. Where are the "Fast parks?" Enter the litigation/insurance industry...
Old 11-25-2013   #9

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Carvedog, I think you're very right in the "I own the slopes" mentality causing more chaos every year. However, music is definitely a variable that not all riders can handle well. While it may be possible for you and buddies to enjoy tunes while making turns, my guess is you're all conscious beings that are smart enough to make logical decisions and maybe check your surroundings. That cannot be said for everyone on the mountain. Just as there are idiots in your everyday dealings, those same nudniks want their turn on the snow with their cool new earbuds. Then you take away one of their senses that restrac2000 mentions, and you have the potential makings of a bull-in-china-shop scenario.

Other factors that I feel will always be in play with this kind of deal - Teenagers(self explanatory); park junkies who are usually of the teen variety but almost always dooshy; booze, hangovers, and I suppose maryjane; the previously mentioned early season masses quantities wanting to ride white ribbon of death; and basic lack of mountain knowledge/etiquette.

Also, I really think the argument of snowboarders being assholes is stupid. If you're an asshole, you're still an asshole whether you have 1 or 2 pieces of wood, plastic, and metal attached to your feet.
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #10

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Raising three kids at a resort, I've given this way too much thought

It's a demographic thing.

Each of my kids was hit at least once in their early years. Each time I was within six feet of them behind them, blocking.

Each time it was by young male boarders on green slopes. All but once they were very apologetic. The one that wasn't tried to race away after hitting my 2 year old daughter. I picked her up, chased him down and he had an opportunity to explain it all to the sheriff.

I think boarding attracts to a rebel demographic. That demographic is the sort of young male that says, I'm going to go off that jump even if the 6'2" guy is right there and potentially a child is in front of him that is too short to see. I'm going to pass him in the slow sign maze rather than check my speed and let him and the kid clear.

I ride skis and I board. I don't think either is better. I just have done the math on the collisions I have personally experienced and have found that the young male that is willing to put you at risk is on a board right now.

So, get your kids off of the greens as fast as possible, and teach them to keep their head on a swivel. Enjoy skiing and boarding and teach yoiur kids that if they have to check their speed and give a little room, it won't ruin their day.